• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is a heavily planted tank?

Tanksy

Is a tank heavily planted :
1. When there are a lot of different plants, covering most of the substrate and most of the water column?
2. When there's a giant plant, covering a small substrate area, but most of the water column?
3. When there's a carpet plant covering the whole substrate?

Is a tank heavily planted :
1. When there are a lot of different plants, covering most of the substrate and most of the water column?
2. When there's a giant plant, covering a small substrate area, but most of the water column?
3. When there's a carpet plant covering the whole substrate?
I would say #1.

Many people say they have a heavily planted tank, but few actually do.

Yes, no , maybe... people concerned with this classification are often dealing with algae. In which case I would say the term 'heavily planted' is a mix of high abundance of plants and high potential for nutrient uptake. Diversity and placement are less of a concern.

Thus I'll raise you one in the definition, is a tank with lots of different plants belonging to bucephalandra, anubias, schismatoglottis, ferns and mosses planted all over the substrate and attached to wood for vertical, in the 'water column' abundance a heavily planted tank? substrate cover - high; plant diversity - high; plant density - high ; nutrient use - low.

What about a tank with no plants in the substrate but filled with Ceratophyllum demersum? substrate cover - no; plant diversity - no; plant density - high; nutrient use - high

Obviously if we're going to be strict and technical about the term 'heavily planted' we have to get into the realms of plant mass (weight) per litre of water.

For a more simple, practical and laymans definition though, I think volume of plants is sufficient (ignoring both the relative growth speed of plants, and leaf/stem density etc). To my mind, perhaps any tank where around about 40-50% or more of the approximate open water volume is taken up with plants (again, ignoring leaf/stem density and hence gaps between leaves - we're talking a very rough eyeball measure here), would be heavily planted.

Coming back to your options @FrankR:
1. As @Ria95 says, the diversity of plants isn't particularly relevant - coverage of the substrate also isn't really relevant either; a Dutch tank for example probably has few plants/leaves directly on the substrate, but the quantity of stem plants will usually ensure you can't see much substrate, and most Dutch style tanks would qualify as heavily planted.
2. See 1 above.
3. Again, not really relevant when considering total plant mass - for example hence most traditional iwagumi's would not fall under the definition of heavily planted to me.

The best way is probably with random examples (these are randomly taken from Google image search):

Heavily Planted:

planted-tank-5.jpg

Not heavily planted:

Fish_tank_Example_2000x.jpg

Heavily planted:

640px-Jungle_style_aquascape.jpg

Not heavily planted:

aquascaping-styles-iwagumi-aquarium-1.jpg

Of course there are going to be plenty of 'hair-splitting' examples that are borderline where some folks will consider it heavily planted, and some wont - we have to remember we talking about trying to define a largely subjective term.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response!
The reason I asked is because I keep reading that in order to prevent algae, a tank should be heavily planted.
However, based on your replies, I understand that plant density doesn't matter, as long as there's high nutrient uptake.
So, a tank with a combination of slow, medium and fast growing healthy plants is less likely to have algae issues. Correct?

Back