• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is it?

CanisDraco

Found this little plant floating in my tank today. Don't remember buying it and I have no idea what it is...anyone have a clue? :)

11028448_10152704799045642_1857325615_o_zpscrqvgwtu.jpg

...it's floated into the mass of floating plants but I can probably fish it out for more pictures if anyone needs.

I don't know for sure but it looks like the plant we have in our pond which I noticed just today, the leaf reminds me of marsh marigold. I doubt it is (depends where you got your plants from) though, don't know why a marginal pond plant would end up in your tank. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will tell you.

There are really several possibilities. If it is a "bi-product" from an aquatic nursery - it is possibly Saururus. Not really a good aquatic, though !!
If not, it resemble Perperomia a lot ( but there are many other options........)
- try grow it in a pot in window, and see what happens

Hmm, thanks for the replies guys :)

Someone else suggested nymphoides aquatica to me, but it doesn't have any of the little "banana" bits on it, although the leaves do look kinda similar to the pictures...another person suggested clinopodium brownie, although the leaves on mine look smoother than some of those images.

Mick, I'll dig it out again and examine it next to some pictures of saururus and perperomia, I've been looking at so many pictures of leaves that they're all starting to look the same :rolleyes: but yes, putting it in a window container might be a good plan, I can at least examine it properly then :D

It would be a goid idea, to cover the plant with a clear plastic bag, in the beginning. Let the opening be up-wards, and just "fold it over" - that way, you can open the bag at least once a day, for half an hour. The bag will keep humidity high (which is benefitial) and the half hour opening will change some air and give a mild drying (which will prevent fungii). Be sure to place the pot and bag in a place with light, but no direct sun at all (otherwise you will have a well-steamcooked vegetable, first time sun is shining!!)
After about a week or two, gradually leave the bag open for longer and longer time, to acclimatize plant to basic humidity in your house.
- and have fun, finding out what you have purchased.........
P.s. don't really ID by present leaf. The plant is a juvenile and could very well change leafshape when growing adult.

It would be a goid idea, to cover the plant with a clear plastic bag, in the beginning. Let the opening be up-wards, and just "fold it over" - that way, you can open the bag at least once a day, for half an hour. The bag will keep humidity high (which is benefitial) and the half hour opening will change some air and give a mild drying (which will prevent fungii). Be sure to place the pot and bag in a place with light, but no direct sun at all (otherwise you will have a well-steamcooked vegetable, first time sun is shining!!)
After about a week or two, gradually leave the bag open for longer and longer time, to acclimatize plant to basic humidity in your house.
- and have fun, finding out what you have purchased.........
P.s. don't really ID by present leaf. The plant is a juvenile and could very well change leafshape when growing adult.

Thanks for this! Right, it doesn't sound too hard to do then, I'll give it a go in my room :)

If it is a lilly type plants, like saururus, will it be okay growing without the water? I assume so, but I'm new to all this growing things in bags thing :p

Also, thanks Darrel, that picture does show the veins nicely and they do look similar to mine, the leaf shape is slightly different but that might be because mine is a young plant, I'm off to read up on them anyway, exciting!

It'll grow nicely in a pot of standard flower-soil. Just keep it wet. And it can grow quite tall, but tolerates trimming well.
I grew Saururus in a Zoo, where I was handling the plants. probaply Saururus cernuus; they came in as wild seed, with some imported, tropic trees.

Back