What is needed to be a sucessful plant grower?

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by julioarca, 20 Apr 2008.

1. julioarca

julioarca Newly Registered

Currently I have a Juwel 180, got the standard tubes, aquaglow and sunlite in the juwel positions and have added a 3rd aquagrow tube at the back on the flappy lid, all T8.

I am doing a PMDD sequence at the moment but see my plants growing leggy, loosing leaves at the botoms, to a height of approx 4". My nitrate is approx 40, Phosphate approx 4-5, I dose trace elements, and iron and Seachem Excel, should I add another tube in the front flap?

Currently lights on for approx 11 hours. I do have diy co2 but have been unkeen to start it off recently due to a co2 overdose to the fish a few weeks ago.

Any ideas how to get the plants improved?

thanks

David

2. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

What wattage are the tubes?

3. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Leggy growth and material loss are symptoms of poor CO2. Adding more light only makes the situation even worse since more light creates more demand for CO2. If you don't want to use CO2 then you should run a low tech tank and lower the light.

Cheers,

4. GreenNeedle

GreenNeedle Member

how did you manage to overdose using DIY on such a large tank? How many bottles were you using.

Andy

5. julioarca

julioarca Newly Registered

The tubes are 30 w each.

I use the red sea diy co2 reactor and I also have a 750ml bottle that feeds into it. I try to change one bottle per week but 2 weeeks ago did both bottles. The fish were acting strange, slow moving, no food interest, standing on their heads (discus), once I started aerating the tank, after a couple of hours they were fine.

6. beeky

beeky Member

If you're wary of CO2, you could dose Excel/Easycarbo which is a carbon source. More expensive though.