• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is the temp in your planted tank?

27-32 🥵

Issue with higher temperature is CO2 and O2 dissolution. It just requires one pumping more of those gases in the water column through injection and agitation. Obviously the higher the temperature the less choice you have in terms of plants and the more they start to suffer. I would say 24-26 is the sweet spot and you can grow just about anything. In our tanks we can't grow most mosses for example.

Vallisneria spiralis, lake Malawi. (East Africa)
26 to 28 ⁰c....
Are you doing the test?
Hi @John q

I can find no entries in the book for Lake Malawi. So, perhaps my idea is best consigned to the waste bin! BTW, I'm confused by your question, "Are you doing the test?". As I said, let's abandon this. I don't want to waste people's time.

JPC

I can find no entries in the book for Lake Malawi
If you look up vallisneria spiralis in her book it gives habitat, location and conditions they were found.

Yes I've been running the test for the last 12 months, ish, so far so good 👍

If you look up vallisneria spiralis in her book it gives habitat, location and conditions they were found.

Yes I've been running the test for the last 12 months, ish, so far so good 👍
Hi @John q

Thanks for correcting me. Indeed, the pertinent information is exactly as you have described above. Clearly, I need to spend more time using Ms Kasselmann's book. :oops::rolleyes:

JPC

Here is some real life example about temperature. Today I came out to feed the guppies in the outdoor pond. It's 2pm here. Didn't see any fish at the surface. Surprise. I touched the water. SHOCKED. Water was very hot. I estimated it to be 35C. I diped my hand to the bottom expecting to scoop dead fish. Nah. all Guppies came up like nothing had happened. I used my TDS meter to check temp. See for yourself:

Added some ice as a temporary relief. I'll have to move that pond inside the porch since these are "winter temperatures":
IMG_8817.JPG

Last edited:
A few years back we visited the Welsh Mountain Zoo at Colwyn Bay,the temperature in the Crocodile house was ridicouly hot the Crocs were dormant and no one stayed in there long. Bizzarly the water had live-bearers in , they just were just swimming about happily. No idea why they were in there can't have been accident

We had a friend who lived in Malta and most of the locals had large brick water stores in their gardens to provide water in the summer for crops. I remember that they nearly always had livebearers in them or the biggest oranda's you could imagine (I was little at the time but they looked the size of cats). The water in these ponds was in the mid to high 30's c during summer.

I also had a heater fail on once in a golden nugget breeding tank. The temperature was 36c when I found it and they seem quite happy.

That's interesting, I'd have been inclined to let it drop lower at night on the grounds that it would take longer to warm up so stay lower for longer in the day time.

I sometimes wonder about how much fluctuation there is between night/day in the wild, and would the fish actually prefer a temperature drop at night?
I assume the nights and the days are long enough for the temperature to reach its equilibrium. Haven't really tested it. I could improve the tank's thermal insulation, but the tank is a centerpiece in the living room and there would be no way to make it look good. Our houses here in the tropics are not insulated at all, we just suffer through the eventual cold waves (which are only cold by our own standards, of course).

Back