• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is this all about?

aspmos

Please excuse me if you have explain this before, I tried but didn't find an answer.
Recently I've got some JBL water tests, and a board like this was inside.
Can anyone explain how to use it?
Does this mean that in a specific pH and KH you have this amount of CO2 in the water? And if yes then when I use reverse osmosis water will my CO2 will be increased or when I add crushed coral CO2 will be decreased?
In my tank I am going to use an active soil that claims to stabilize the water to about 6,5pH and 2ΚΗ, this means that my water has enough CO2 (purple) to start with easy-medium plants?
Right now my tap water is about 7,6pH and 8KH what does that 6 means?

ph-kh.PNG
ph-kh.PNG
denerle.PNG

Throw the chart in the bin - they do more harm than good. If using RO water remineralizer the water to the pararameters your after either with a commercial product or DIY ( if after a DIY product just post how much RO water you add at WC and I will post a few options). Once water is remineralised just use a DC (Drop Checker) which will give you a good idea of the [CO2]. I would always advise doing a pH profile of CO2 period unless you have done it many times.

Does this mean that in a specific pH and KH you have this amount of CO2 in the water?
Yes, that what THEY mean. Unfortunately THEY have not fully explained the nuances and if you follow the advice on the card you will fall into a trap and will always suffer problems by underestimating your CO2 content.
when I use reverse osmosis water will my CO2 will be increased or when I add crushed coral CO2 will be decreased?
No. This is yet another illusion. There is only one way, for a given pressure and temperature, to increase the CO2 content of the water - and that is to add more CO2.

Just as Zeus says, bin the card or put it in a box somewhere. When you have a fuller understanding of CO2 you will be able to interpret the information on the card. Right now start with reading the CO2 tutorial=> CO2 Measurement Using A Drop Checker

Cheers,

Actually I am not trying to cheat by manipulating my water parameters to have as much CO2 as possible.
I am just trying to understand how these things work. I admit I don't have a clue right now.
I also found this one by George Farmer (I think he is the founder of this place).

Back