• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is this creature ? Name this worm.

Rouvax

Hello Guys,

I am new in this forum, just for this thread I registered. I normally do not share anything but i read lots of things, this is a very informative site.

I am trying to name this creature from my planted tank. I saw it first 10 days ago but i think it is living more than that. I did not use anything from nature for this tank ( this is my only tank) . And it's age is about 9 months. In the base layer, I use JBL manado dark and AF Natural Substrate which should be baked before packing. So I didn't use dirt.
All the plants came from LFS and the youngest one is about 4-5 months old. I have cherry shrimps, pygmy cory'ies and Otocats nothing else. Can you name it? In a Turkish forum they said it is earth worm but i don't think so. What do you think ?

How long do you think it can live in the water? Because this is living in this aquarium more than ten days, may be more because i did not add anything to this for a while.

Hi all,
I can't tell from the video. It is either an annelid worm as (@Nick72 suggests). Some species are aquatic, (like <"Lumbriculus">) including some <"very "earthwormy" looking ones">.

The other option is a Leech, they move by contracting from a sucker (one at either end) and then stretching and looping to re-attach their body. They will go "fat and then thin", rather than always remaining worm shape.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
What about this one ?
It looks bigger than Lumbriculus, and they don't move in that way. Click in the <"links"> in the thread messages and they will take you to relevant posts.
If it moves like a leech, swims like a leech, and looks like a leech, then it is a leech😮😮
Leech is my guess as well, but I can't see enough from the video to definitely exclude an annelid worm.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
I'll be quite honest, I'm not familiar with any of them other than Lumbriculus variegatus. Because very few of them have links on the Wikipedia page I assume they aren't organisms that you encounter very often, and my guess would be that they are mainly fairly similar in appearance to <"Lumbriculus">.

I've seen a fair few aquatic <"earthworms">, like <"Eiseniella tetraedra">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
First picture looks really same.
Good, if the worm stays "worm shaped" I wouldn't worry about it at all. If it contracts and expands is is a leech and I'd try to remove it. It won't be a fish leech, so even then it isn't a real problem. Chemical control probably isn't a good idea, have a look at <"Leech"> .

cheers Darrel

I checked the latest link you send, the color and the shape looks very familiar. May be this one is the answer. And I saw a second smaller one :( . What am I going to do :mad:

Back