• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is this plant?

Abi Jones

af5a987d3de2f60519963e50885a40bd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another Dennerle spoof, they have more of these terrestrial plants in their collection listed as Terrarium plant.
But Fish stores get them anyway and they simply sell them as an aquarium plant.

I once argued about it with a shop clerk, why they do that, this plant will die within a month submerged, and he admitted knowing and he argued with his manager about it. The manager simply said, see it as selling flowers, customers know flowers will die within a few weeks and then they buy new ones. Then why not with ornamental plants for the aquarium?... 😂 That makes you collateral damage buying it not knowing... :rolleyes: You can't blame them for not doing your homework... :p Criminals.. :mad:

Hi all,
I once argued about it with a shop clerk, why they do that, this plant will die within a month submerged, and he admitted knowing and he argued with his manager about it. The manager simply said, see it as selling flowers, customers know flowers will die within a few weeks and then they buy new ones. Then why not with ornamental plants for the aquarium?... 😂 That makes you collateral damage buying it not knowing... :rolleyes: You can't blame them for not doing your homework... :p Criminals.. :mad:
I got a variegated plant thinking it was aquatic but turned out to be a cordyline specifically cordyline fruticosa "firebrand" https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants/cordyline-fruticosa-c-terminalis And another variegated grass most probably this. https://futureforests.ie/products/uncinia-rubra Will take pics and upload later ugh.I also saw variegated acorus grass, dracaena variegated, hemigraphis colorata, hemigraphis rapanda, croton, synognium , Selaginella wildenowii and a variegated plant that had red,green and yellow and somewhat grassy like. Should have taken pictures of them.
It really, really <"p*sses me off">.

I'm telling people that plants are the thing that makes <"aquarium keeping easier">, and then they go to a shop, <"which sells them these">, which just make water quality worse.

It is the most incredible act of self-immolation by the industry and it isn't surprising that people become discouraged from keeping planted tanks.

cheers Darrel

Unfortunately, honest business is a dying breed... Whatever LFS you go, do your homework first and make sure you know what you are going to do. Don't ask shop owners nor their personnel for advice, if they do not lie they will definitively tell you the half-truth only. It's ok to trust, but it's better to check.

A simple test, point to a baby Pleco catfish and ask if it's ok to put in a 50 litres tank?... When the answer is yes of course. Then you know enough and you don't need to ask anything else, they will be lying through their teeth to get the money out of your pocket. Or they are simply stupid... Either way, it makes their advice worthless, more like too expensive.

And in 90% of the LFS you can find the answer to this question will be Yes!..

Ugh that’s so annoying! It was submerged in the Lfs and I thought I’d got myself a bargain as it’s so pretty! It is growing though??

It is growing though??
Not for long, it'll start to rot sooner than later and pollute your aquarium. Like I mentioned, it's better in a pot on your windowsill, that way you can still enjoy it ;)

Not for long, it'll start to rot sooner than later and pollute your aquarium. Like I mentioned, it's better in a pot on your windowsill, that way you can still enjoy it ;)

This was bought from the same shop, looks suspiciously like another plant on the plants to avoid list
4ba187e636a39e41981793ada619b82b.jpg

This was bought from the same shop, looks suspiciously like another plant on the plants to avoid list
4ba187e636a39e41981793ada619b82b.jpg

Hi allThat one is fine, it is an /tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/EchinodorusBleherae(071)/4512']"Amazon Sword" (Echinodorus "Bleherae")[/URL]>, and really good plant for larger low tech. aquariums.

cheers Darrel

Oh that’s good, I thought it was Amazon sword when I bought it but after looking at the list was worried it might be Dracaena deremensis.

Hi all,
I thought it was Amazon sword when I bought it but after looking at the list was worried it might be Dracaena deremensis.
A lot of these plants look <"superficially similar">. We have a lot of threads where it isn't always obvious from a photo what the plant is, and whether it is really an aquarium plant at all.

In this case if you look at your Echinodorus it is a "rosette" plant, the leaves are coming from a central point, with the youngest leaves on the inside of the rosette. Dracaena spp. are "stem" plants with <"leaves arranged around a long stem">, and they only form a rosette right at the top, near the growing point.

cheers Darrel

Back