• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is this substrate and where to buy it?

Animal Mother

I want a very fine white sandy substrate like on this video

Can I buy this in the UK?

If so, what is it and where can you get it?

It's a sand a substrate. If you like the look of sand you can get some childrens play sand from any of the big diy stores really cheap which would be fine in an aquarium given a good rinse first. Try b&q or argos.

It's just white sand, it's not particularly natural stuff and is useless for plants with being inert. That's not that you couldn't have plants with it you could but would have to water column dose and you'd be more prone to algae if your dosing went arise. In the planted tank we tend to use sands as plantless foregrounds since they appear much more natural in this way and then have a nutrient rich substrate where the plants will be.

I have some Aqua SOil for the plants, I wanted the white sand as a contrast/feature.

Is play pit sand very white?If not,where can I get the very white stuff?

You can get pure white substrate but it all looks much of a muchness I find. The play pit sand I'm using is from tesco and It's not perfect white but it's very very pale.

The sand in the video may not be as white as it appears under the light on a very low resolution video. Most of the whitest sand you can get is aragonite based sand used in marine aquariums. This sand is far from inert & would effect the water chemistry in your tank making it very unsuitable in an average freshwater setup.

Theres a white substrate available here, not sure from the pic about being white, but it claims to be white & also inert.
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.p ... cts_id=393

Garuf said:
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=393

Pure white.
I'd personally go for play sand, my 10kg bag cost £2...
I swear I never stole your link it was purely by chance, I re-edited my post & came across the same product as you from aquaessentials. I agree that play sand is far better value for money.

Will coral sand work? I don't mind the hardening properties as it'll counteract the AquaSoil affects.

Animal Mother said:
Will coral sand work? I don't mind the hardening properties as it'll counteract the AquaSoil affects.

It would probably cause sudden ph swings. Could stress fish out alot if you have softening & hardening happening at the same time. It would probably be hard to find a consistent balance.

There won't be any fish, only a few shrimp.

Surely the ph would obtain an equilibrium?

jimbo said:
Animal Mother said:

It would probably cause sudden ph swings. Could stress fish out alot if you have softening & hardening happening at the same time. It would probably be hard to find a consistent balance.
pH swings do not stress fish - EVER. This is another myth of The Matrix. If you have a CO2 injected tank your pH swings back and forth constantly without any ill effect. Your pH swings every time you change your water. You'll lead yourself down a terrible path if you concern yourself with pH stability.

Cheers,

Back