• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What kind of Eleocharis is this?

Nont

Hello everyone! This is my first thread here and I hope I’ll get along really well!

I found this plant (assuming it’s Eleocharis) grow epiphytically in the balcony roof gutter, What species of Eleocharis is this?

1C1F2C85-C420-4A5A-B204-0F75119195A7.jpeg
5E3B3DCD-C723-48AC-81A5-7E65673973AB.jpeg
590518D7-36D8-4C73-AF9C-5E7BDFF885CC.jpeg

Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS. I'd definitely give it a go in the tank.
I found this plant (assuming it’s Eleocharis) grow epiphytically in the balcony roof gutter, What species of Eleocharis is this?
Eleocharis spp. aren't really aquatic plants as such, they are plants of wet places that can survive being submerged for long time periods.

It is definitely from the family Cyperaceae. You will have <"quite a few options in Thailand for a genus"> and it may be an Eleocharis sp. I'd guess, from the flower and the fact that it looks to have leaves in threes, that it is <"probably a Sedge (Carex sp.)">

You would need to pull a plant apart, in Eleocharis spp. you don't have any leaves, the <"green leafy bits are all stems">.
...... The genus itself is relatively easy to recognize; all Eleocharis species have photosynthetic stems but no green leaves (the leaves have been reduced to sheaths surrounding the base of the stems).....
cheers Darrel

Welcome to UKAPS.
Thanks for welcoming me :)
I'd definitely give it a go in the tank.
I have tried several times and failed. E. acicularis also doesn’t do well in my tank.
It is definitely from the family Cyperaceae. You will have <"quite a few options in Thailand for a genus"> and it may be an Eleocharis sp. I'd guess, from the flower and the fact that it looks to have leaves in threes, that it is <"probably a Sedge (Carex sp.)">

You would need to pull a plant apart, in Eleocharis spp. you don't have any leaves, the <"green leafy bits are all stems">.
From what I saw in the internet, I think mine look more like Carex spp.

Thanks for the info @dw1305

Back