• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What light for a waterbox 2420

Matt1994

Hi everyone,
Currently have an aquascaper 600 set up running a twinstar 600s v2 on that, I have also a waterbox 2420 aquarium that I am slowly getting the bits to set it up hopefully by the end of the year.

What do you think would be the best light
Out of these three options if not an alternative

Firstly I am heading towards the hanging light as I like the look and also being able to have access to all the glass (not having the light legs mounted on glass, like the current twinstar I have)

ECOTECH RADION
I like the look of the ecotech radion xr15 gen4 freshwater
Anyone have any experience with this unit?

ADA aquasky RGB
I however love the colour rendition from the ada aquasky rgb I like a lot
However not being able to dim the light etc puts me off a little

ONF one
I like the look of this unit and the app control looks pretty good and would be very handy

Many thanks
Matt 😃

Another pricy unit that generally gets ignored
Mitras LX 7004, white, USA/CND
$529.90

7004 Freshwater Model, 4 cluster, white, power supply included

Hi everyone,
Currently have an aquascaper 600 set up running a twinstar 600s v2 on that, I have also a waterbox 2420 aquarium that I am slowly getting the bits to set it up hopefully by the end of the year.

What do you think would be the best light
Out of these three options if not an alternative

Firstly I am heading towards the hanging light as I like the look and also being able to have access to all the glass (not having the light legs mounted on glass, like the current twinstar I have)

ECOTECH RADION
I like the look of the ecotech radion xr15 gen4 freshwater
Anyone have any experience with this unit?

ADA aquasky RGB
I however love the colour rendition from the ada aquasky rgb I like a lot
However not being able to dim the light etc puts me off a little

ONF one
I like the look of this unit and the app control looks pretty good and would be very handy

Many thanks
Matt 😃

The Ecotech is nice with decent control software (Mobius) with lots of options. Colour rendition is decent, and of course being a point source light, gives lots of shimmer. Personally I'd probably pick the AI Prime instead, as the colour rendition is similar, as is the app control, but its a much nicer form factor and a lot cheaper.

If you like the RGB based colour rendition like the Aquasky RGB, then the Chihiros lights are the obvious choice - same RGB colour rendition, but with fairly decent app control.

The Ecotech is nice with decent control software (Mobius) with lots of options. Colour rendition is decent, and of course being a point source light, gives lots of shimmer. Personally I'd probably pick the AI Prime instead, as the colour rendition is similar, as is the app control, but its a much nicer form factor and a lot cheaper.

If you like the RGB based colour rendition like the Aquasky RGB, then the Chihiros lights are the obvious choice - same RGB colour rendition, but with fairly decent app control.

Thanks wooki
Thanks for that helpful info ! Is it mobius as appose to the ecotech live the gen4 uses? Lots online but nothing clear! Would I need reef link !?

And ill be honest I like the colour rendition of the chihirios but just don't like the look of the light ....

And would I get away with one ai prime ?
My tank is just under 24inch wide and says how they are 24' cover per light!?

I'll take a look as they are a fair bit cheaper than the radion and they also do black which is a bonus as this would match my cabinet

Thanks again
Matt 😃

Thanks wooki
Thanks for that helpful info ! Is it mobius as appose to the ecotech live the gen4 uses? Lots online but nothing clear! Would I need reef link !?

And ill be honest I like the colour rendition of the chihirios but just don't like the look of the light ....

I'll take a look as they are a fair bit cheaper than the radion and they also do black which is a bonus as this would match my cabinet

Thanks again
Matt 😃
I'd do 2 ai primes though one is "waterbox standard".

I'm annoyed Radion isn't upgrading their fw line like they did w/ the saltwater side.
Of course since ai is owned by Radion my " protest" is a bit weak. ;)
Sadly both have have had major price increases making 2 ais more expensive than 1 prime which it "seems" can still he had at the old price.

Most recommend a more reasonable 17x17 footprint for both models.

Raising and increasing light spill will fix the edge dropoff though at 24' it's not too bad
radion-xr15-pro-freshwater.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks oreo !
I'm really stuck on which to go for!!
I like the idea of the radion and the hanging option is the firmware really bad?
Obviously there are negatives and minus to an app only !

I mean other options are a kessil a160

Do you think I'd be pushing it with one radion ?
Really appreciate your help. I have my Aquascaper 600 with twinstar 600sa
Just want this to be complete different and going to go for an iwagumi layout

The other option is go for another twinstar or the onf 60cm but just like the idea of a hanging light!:)

Thanks
Matt 😃

Waaaaay off the beaten path.. ;)

finding their homepage was .. err "painful"..
Most bought it direct from Korea.
To ramp it you would need to diy it.
It's a simple constant voltage array so it is easy to do globally (no channel adjustments).

Last edited:
AI prime should be good for 600x600 coverage especially over an Iwagumi, and they do a hanging kit for £23.50.
Cheers.

Thanks wooki

Thanks again
Matt 😃

Yes, the Gen4 works with Mobius out of the box, no need for Reeflink. You only need that for earlier gen's, and there is no Gen 5, nor do Ecotech intend to release one I am told, unfortunately.

What don't you like about the look of the Chihiros lights, and which one are you looking at, the Vivid II? At the end of the day, how much time are you going to spend looking at the light rather than the tank below it ;)

Yes, I would have thought one AI Prime would cover a 600 x 600 tank, depending on the light intensity you wanted at the substrate. They are a very bright light.

Oh thats not to bad then and it's not the light itself it's the colour it produces (from what I've seen) just looks to intense if you know what I mean and I'm not planning any red plants in the new setup ..(might change though hha)

And will the prime hd freshwater and the radion freshwater be similar then in terms of colour
As prime is over 100 cheaper..
It's 600mm wide
500mm front to back
And 450 height
However planning on raising substrate at rear and even more left rear of the tank so this will obviously increase the light strength with it been higher the front .
In my old marine tank I ran a prime for about 6 months then upgraded to the HD and what a bloody difference it was just never seen the freshwater in person

I know it seems daft but I just want this tank to be complete different to the aquascaper 600 and fancy a hanging light or a single arm mounted light

But also want something to grow a carpet and leanig towards wanting a shimmer from the light

Thanks again wooki for taking the time to read and reply to these many questions

Matt 😃

Oh thats not to bad then and it's not the light itself it's the colour it produces (from what I've seen) just looks to intense if you know what I mean and I'm not planning any red plants in the new setup ..(might change though hha)

Oh only mentioned the Chihiros as you said you liked the Aquasky RGB colour rendition, which would be almost identical (ignoring the fact that the colour output is infinitely adjustable on the Chihiros).

And will the prime hd freshwater and the radion freshwater be similar then in terms of colour

Pretty similar yes, they both use cool white and warm white LED’s, backed up with additional red, green and blue LED’s. The Radion just has more of some of the individual colour LED’s, so it can pump those colours marginally more.

But they are more similar than they are different - but then they are both from the same brand ‘house’.

Have you got a prime? If so any tank shots

Thanks
Matt 😃

Yes, I’ve got a Prime and a Radion, but not currently in use. Well, not properly in use - the Prime is currently over my Moina tank, so not really presentation quantity lol

I have a Vivid II over my high tech, and a WRGB II over my low tech. For me, I would struggle giving up the colour rendition of RGB based LED’s and going back to white based LED’s - though I would love to have some shimmer.

Oh only mentioned the Chihiros as you said you liked the Aquasky RGB colour rendition, which would be almost identical (ignoring the fact that the colour output is infinitely adjustable on the Chihiros).

Pretty similar yes, they both use cool white and warm white LED’s, backed up with additional red, green and blue LED’s. The Radion just has more of some of the individual colour LED’s, so it can pump those colours marginally more.

But they are more similar than they are different - but then they are both from the same brand ‘house’.

Hi wooki sorry I've completely got mixed up ! Big time 🤣 busy week at work is the excuse !!
Sorry! Messed up on my first post! I meant to add to the aquasky rgb(I like the colour, but find it intense!! Not a bad thing I'm just bothered it's going to look out of place against the twinstar I have on the aquascaper 600!

I'm just worried I get the rgb lights and just find it intense, both tanks are in the same room and I am just worried its going to be to intense and make it look a bit artifical !!

I am very drawn to the app side of things as would probably be easier !

Can I ask where you got your chihiros please ?
I will take another look at the aquasky rgb and compare to the chihirios !

Really sorry about the mess up on my first post!!!!

Thanks again for your time!

Will keep you updated when I make my mind up for sure! Reqlly appreciate your help. This forum is great really has helped me both with the tank and mentally

Regards
Matt 😃

This is my aquascaper 600 tonight
Due a water change and maintenance tomorrow .
The hair grass on the right was only planted on Wednesday so excuse that haha

Needs a pretty big trim and tidy up !

Attachments

• 20210703_181420.jpg
    20210703_181420.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 146
Evening all, well after seeing the ecotech radion gen4 freshwater in person it's decided feel happy with my choice
-Should be getting sorted by the end of the month.

My list of obvious of bits I will list below, going for some of the same equipment as I have in the 600 as so far it's proved to be faultless.

Also decided on iwagumi style scape

The tank, waterbox 2420. Black cabinet
Ecotech radion gen4
Using (single arm mount)

Still to get,
Oase biomaster thermo 600
Substrate-ada amazonia v2
Ada power sand
Strideways co2 reg
Hardscape,
Lilly pipes (can't decide between glass or stainless steel)
Diffuser, can't decide between the twinstar I use or to go for bazooka in this scape
Cal aqua co2 drop checker
Ada thermometer 8mm
Check valve

And a lot more bits of course haha ,

-Will fill filter with matrix and also add a bag of purigen

So the bits I can't decide on are glass lily pipes or stainless , ideally want a skimmer on outlet

Twinstar or bazooka diffuser?

I know im going to go over my budget , but would rather save over a longer period to ensure I get the right end result

Any iwagumi scapers out there, willing to share a photo of their tank for ideas, as undecided on what rock to go for.

And thinking of when all complete stocking with gold neon tetras.

Thanks all,
Matt 😃

Hi all,
Hope everyone's alright

Update.
Been to horizon aquatics today and picked up the ONF Flat One+ for the waterbox 2420.

Tried it on the aquascaper 600 compared to the twinstar and wow! Greens popped like crazy!!

And also a picture of my striped Hill stream loach in my aquascaper 600

Also, I am running the oase biomaster thermo 350 on the aquascaper 600 (also using stainless steel lily pipes)

What do you think would be a better choice for the waterbox 2420, another 350 or jump to the 600

Thanks all
Matt 😀

Attachments

• 20210801_150033.jpg
    20210801_150033.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20210801_205350_491.jpg
    IMG_20210801_205350_491.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20210801_205350_525.jpg
    IMG_20210801_205350_525.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 108