• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What light to get? 60*30*36 - Iwagumi scape (probably)

Dominik K

Hi All

Im gathering all the stuff I need to set up my tank.
I got a WIO Vistas P Classic Aquarium (60*30*36cm) and a Oase FiltroSmart 100 filter plus substrate + glass pipework thus far.

Im not really sure about what lighting I would need for this tank.
I plan on doing an Iwagumi Aquascape most likely however this may change if I decide I don't like it.

I have a couple questions:

1. Do people put something on the back of the tank ? The tank will be sitting behind a red brick wall/ backdrop light. Not sure if that will work aesthetically.
2. What sort of off the shelf light could I get for this tank ? Happy to pay reasonable price but don't really want to DIY it.

Almost any LED or t5 aquarium light will work.
Probably a cooler one as to color temp.
As to background.. depends.. White, light blue, or black seem prevalent in an image search.
May want to consider some type of CO2 addition.

Last edited:
Iwagumi need very little light, a cheap nicrew, or entry level twinstar (b series) would be perfect

For a good but cheap option, the Nicrew lights (found on Amazon) are really good, I've grown loads of plants well lowtech with them. A fancier option is the Twinstar, which is more pricy but looks very slick and makes for a beautiful scape, though ideally is for a CO2-injected tank. There may be some options in the middle from Chihiros (also now sold on Amazon recently), who do mid to high-end lights.

Check AliExpress for the new Chihiros V2, they're Bluetooth controlled, timer etc and probably about £50 including delivery for that size

How about this one ?

Light 1

I'm thinking of the bigger 20.5" one for £36. Comes with a timer remote. Not sure if its overkill or the smaller one should do it. The room gets a fair amount of natural light.

The Nicrew one I found I like is this one:

Nicerew Panel light

How have people found the whole panel light? It appears to be sitting only about 2" above the surface.
For my scape I am considering some hard scape above water level so this could would be an issue.

Last edited:
How about this one ?

Light 1

I'm thinking of the bigger 20.5" one for £36. Comes with a timer remote. Not sure if its overkill or the smaller one should do it. The room gets a fair amount of natural light.

The Nicrew one I found I like is this one:

Nicerew Panel light

How have people found the whole panel light? It appears to be sitting only about 2" above the surface.
For my scape I am considering some hard scape above water level so this could would be an issue.
Yes most are pretty tight to the top.
They can be diy raised but creates a bit more light spill.
Chihiros are a bit taller hy design and there are the more narrow rowed ones.
Finnex, Fluval, Current ect

The nicrews sit about 1" above the rim, I've got the 30cm Sky Led (no built in timer though you can add one) on my 30l and it's about 3.5" above the actual water level, only nag is that it gets in the way if you want to do a bit of tidying and still see what you're doing being so low to the rim. Not annoying enough for me to crack out the 3d printer though

Back