• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What next?

Gaina

Afternoon all! 😊

I'm now starting to plan when to add shrimp to my tank (Fluval Roma 125 with Fluval U3 filter).

I recently bought fresh test kits and my parameters are as follows:

GH - 11
KH - 3 (started turning at 2)
Ph - 7.5
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20+
Temperature - 24.9c
TDS - 713

(NOTE: I'm due a water change, so the Nitrate is a bit higher than I like, it's normally 20 or less (15—20).

I'd like to try again with snails as well as starting on Cherry Shrimps, so I'm at the point where I can do what's necessary to achieve that (change water temps to suite shrimp if necessary, etc. ). I've enjoyed having fish but I don't want live bearers, so I'm not sure where to go on the fish side of things.

I also need to add more plants. Valisnaria, Crypt Wendtii and Hornwort are all currently doing well in my tank, so I'm thinking I should stick to varieties in those families and plants that enjoy the same parameters.

Any and all help gratefully received. 😊

Hi,
If it was me and if I'm understanding you correctly (the tank has been running for a few of weeks), the first thing I would do is introduce 10 or so Nerite Snails or 15 Clithon Snails (which I find are are better) give it a couple of weeks and add some Shrimp.
You've given us a beautiful rendition of your water parameters (which look good), but a photo would have given us an even better perspective of what is going on.
Enjoy introducing your livestock.
Cheers!

Hi,
If it was me and if I'm understanding you correctly (the tank has been running for a few of weeks), the first thing I would do is introduce 10 or so Nerite Snails or 15 Clithon Snails (which I find are are better) give it a couple of weeks and add some Shrimp.
You've given us a beautiful rendition of your water parameters (which look good), but a photo would have given us an even better perspective of what is going on.
Enjoy introducing your livestock.
Cheers!
Hi Bazz,

Thanks for replying so quickly. 😊

I've actually had this aquarium for 5 years, the original residents have just aged out and I'm down to 1 Amano shrimp and a Hengel's Rasbora (I have recently returned to this forum after a break 😊).

I've not heard of Clithon snails, so I'll check them out. 😊. I used to have Nerite snails but they had an unfortunate habit of throwing themselves on their backs and dying on me, which sent my first tank (a 65 liter) into an Ammonia spike! 🤪 If these Clithon snails are better a keeping themselves alive, I'll opt for them. 😊

Thanks again for the advice. 😊

Here's my tank. Please excuse the algae , I'm addressing it. 😊
PXL_20230125_140326287.jpg

Back