• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What other hobby's do you have?

I read science / speculative fiction, surf, pc game, love music, and cycle commute.

This is me a few years back (pre-children!) in Sumatra

mentawaii.JPG

It takes a while each time I build a new one to get to grips with it & I am not at home just now so not has a chance to get to know it yet!
However It sound fantastic, it is a multi drone which means it has several notes & several toots an octave apart!
Actually this is a bit of a sore point with me as I just bought a Blue Yeti microphone & that is meant to pick up the low vibrations that didgeridoos make... however it wont work on the IPad 4, works on the 2 & 3 but I have the 4 :(

Library! where is you kindle or IPad app?
Honestly mate if you are into fantasy you would really benefit from a kindle reader or IPad as the selection is now vast!!
There are so many fantastic authors that could never afford the printing cost of a book but now have their work on kindle books.
Lots of the books are less than a £, even the really good ones are rarely more than two £ & plenty are free.
I can give you a list of twenty books right now that are only available from Amazon & all of then are just fantastic :)

Library! where is you kindle or IPad app?
Honestly mate if you are into fantasy you would really benefit from a kindle reader or IPad as the selection is now vast!!
There are so many fantastic authors that could never afford the printing cost of a book but now have their work on kindle books.
Lots of the books are less than a £, even the really good ones are rarely more than two £ & plenty are free.
I can give you a list of twenty books right now that are only available from Amazon & all of then are just fantastic :)

Ha ha, I do have an iPad but I also like to keep the library in business and it is free. (Although I could aquire Kindle editions I suppose ;) ).

Give me a list if you like that would be quite useful. Thanks!

I'm envious Samuran, I wish I hadn't finished all of them years ago. There are few worlds so brilliantly and austerely realised as those of Herbert's Dune. Those extra books aren't a patch on Herbert's originals, but I found I was such a sucker for the world I read them all anyway. Have you read Asimov's Foundation books? Their quite different but are truly amazing flights of imagination. While I'm on a syfy rant, I don't want to leave out Kurt Vonnigut, his books go a bit beyond your average syfy label, but the guy's a genius and hilarious. Writing this I'm tempted to read Dune again;)

I'm reading all of them (including the later ones written by his son and others) in chronologial order... In scifi I think my favourite author is Larry Niven, I'm a sucker for scifi heavy on the science. Not read very much Asimov at all to my shame....
I'm also quite a fantasy fan too, I enjoyed reading all the tolkein works :D

2 random recomendations

Mythago Wood - Robert Holdstock
The Forever War - Joe Haldeman

I love both of these books and their follow ups and cannot recommend them enough.

Here are a few really good reads The Painted Man (Brett Peter V) The Magicians guild trilogy (Trudi canavan) The Heresy Within (Rob Hayes) Elfhunter (CS Marks)
All eights of Toby Neighbors books.... The Name of the Wind (Patrick Rothfuss) Poison Study (Maria V Snyder)
Really really good are Thinblade series by David A Wells & Wielders Rising trilogy by TB Christensen...
Loads more when you are ready....:)

Back