• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What other hobby's do you have?

I made a box....

Super cute box!! Wonderfull job. Forewarded it to my brother, he a wood worker too..

But what i don't get is why Wax if it is cast in epoxy?

Thank you, I got into using epoxy a few years ago, it can produce some spectacular effects but is Oh so expensive!
I used nine litres on the box
7191EF99-A16F-4221-95B0-DFA803B00390.jpeg
project = around £200 but I have made a few tables that have used fifty litres!
I have just started a driftwood epoxy table for a friend who is paying for materials which makes it far more relaxing to build!

Attachments

• 945BF4DE-D264-4F41-8AFF-C01EAA30F1D8.jpeg
    945BF4DE-D264-4F41-8AFF-C01EAA30F1D8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 162
  • 0F070EBE-7245-4652-9591-F1D40D7AB7EC.jpeg
    0F070EBE-7245-4652-9591-F1D40D7AB7EC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 156
Quad flying can be a cool hobby that's suited for the nerds and the time/money-rich.

This is pro footage but with some practice you can get reasonable footage.

I used to do a bit of flyin but gave up due to increasing repairs, regulations and time issues.

You guys in the UK have AndyRC on youtube guiding you.

I like to make discarded things functional again, repurpose in another form, not sure if it's a hobby because it usually concerns accidental finds. Since there are some car (restore) enthusiasts around you might find this one interesting, not sure of how many of these are still around in Britain.

One day a found a Chrome Grill from a 1950's Austin a40 Summerset, I had to repaint and restore the batch/Logo back to its original state. The day i found it was dirt black and the batch was there but the logo/paint was gone. Didn't know what to do with it so i turned it into a light shade hanging to the wall. Except the Chrome, the grill still is in pretty good condition, no cracks and all parts are there.

DSC_0700.JPG

So i have some real British heritage hanging to my wall shining a light... :cool: No idea how or if it is rare?... On mainland Europe i've never seen a Austin Summerset driving around... There must have been at one point, how else could i find this laying in a barn.

Last edited:
I like to make discarded things functional again, repurpose in another form, not sure if it's a hobby because it usually concerns accidental finds. Since there are some car (restore) enthusiasts around you might find this one interesting, not sure of how many of these are still around in Britain.

One day a found a Chrome Grill from a 1950's Austin a40 Summerset, I had to repaint and restore the batch/Logo back to its original state. The day i found it was dirt black and the batch was there but the logo/paint was gone. Didn't know what to do with it so i turned it into a light shade hanging to the wall. Except the Chrome, the grill still is in pretty good condition, no cracks and all parts are there.

View attachment 151982

So i have some real British heritage hanging to my wall shining a light... :cool: No idea how or if it is rare?... On mainland Europe i've never seen a Austin Summerset driving around... There must have been at one point, how else could i find this laying in a barn.

I like that very much :)

Another fun project i like to share, bicycle electro conversion kit... :)

I was a sceptic for a long time since it was so darn expensive. But batteries got significantly better and cheaper over the years. So I took my chances and ordered a 28¨ front hub conversion kit for my custom city bike from Yose Power. They have a warehouse in Germany and ship within a week.

Kit
https://yosepower.com/collections/e...n-kit/products/36v-250w-26-28-front-motor-kit

Battery
https://yosepower.com/collections/ebike-battery/products/36v-10ah-ebike-bottle-battery

With shipping cost € 400... Very nice price for a complete plug and play kit.

But definitively to take some things not specified into account to make sure this fits the bike that is intended to be converted. If it fits, it will be fixed in less than 3 hours work anybody can do that can hold a wrench.

But worst case scenario, the regular sports bike could have an 8 or 9 mm hub axle, this hub motor has a 10 mm hub axle. This axle will not fit a fork with 9 mm pads. That was the case with my old bike. Thus additionally I had to buy a 1¨ fork that fits. €25 on top. Then another surprise a fork for 10 mm axle is heavier designed and could need a 0.8 mm larger 1¨ steering head bearing. Also the case for me the new fork didn't fit the old steering head and had to buy a new one. Again € 25 on top.

If that's the case and you don't have the tools to fix it, it's going to be a different story, then you need a professional to fix it raising the cost significantly.

Fortunately, I got the tools from a friend... That is a tool to get the old bearings from the frame and a press to put the new ones in.
index1.jpg

Install the fork and readjust the pads in line. 9 out of 10 times this is necessary with new forks and it was it was about 5 mm off centre.
index2.jpg

Then the threaded fork tube needs to be cut perfectly straight not to damage the thread. Could be done freehand, but that's tricky rather use the proper tool.
index4.jpg

All done the rest of the conversion really is as the manufacturer promises, child play. Can't go wrong the controller needed is prewired with coloured waterproof plugs that only fit the plug of the corresponding component to connect. Can't go wrong.

In my case the bike has a front rack, so I used the front rack to place the rather small controller to its underside and still had room for all the cables. If you don't have this a bag is supplied to hang to the frame. I didn't like the idea of the bag so used the front rack instead. 2.5 hours later all was mounted and done following the manual.

Bike converted to electro bike with a front-wheel hub motor.
index.jpg

And must admit, absolutely surprised by its performance... The 250-watt motor at setting 5 easily runs a 30 km/h with a 28¨ wheel on the flats and with some proper gear shifting and motor assist, I go quite steep uphill with 25km/h without a sweat to the top. This kit is actually extremely lightweight all together less than 10 kilos. Thus with some smart use, it runs with pretty sufficient distance radius. The display can be set to 0 and there will be no motor assistance. Downhill or even on a flat road it's not really needed. If i use the motor assistance only when needed I did ride a 20 km trip using ¼ battery capacity. And still did play around a bit without the need of assistance. Thus it can even be more sufficient. This could easily double the factory 30km specifications and give me a 60 to 80km range on 1 battery. Depending on the lenght and amount of hills on the route of course, but i lve in a pretty bumpy area. Simply ride smart with smart use of the controller setting.

Since the kit is pretty light and the heaviest part is the battery, if the batery is taken off, you have a normal bike back barely noticing the less than 4 kilos extra from the hub and wheel. Without power the hub runs 100% free without recistance.

All and all, 100% pleasantly surpised and very impressed by its performance and not at all unhappy with this investment... It makes a detour on the bicycle fun again. 😂 25km/h up hill...

And it keeps on developing it can only get better in the future i geuss... 💪

Astronomy, programming, game design, dungeons and dragons, pet dog, cooking, science fiction, starting doomed businesses.

Here is a little website I made showing a 3D interactive map of the nearest stars to the Sun. You can click the stars to move around the map.

https://beyondproxima.appspot.com/

Here is a photo I took of the moon recently:

clavius.png

Last edited:
Astronomy, programming, game design, dungeons and dragons, pet dog, cooking, science fiction, starting doomed businesses.

Here is a little website I made showing a 3D interactive map of the nearest stars to the Sun. You can click the stars to move around the map.

https://beyondproxima.appspot.com/

Here is a photo I took of the moon recently:

View attachment 154629
Nice shot lots of detail.

Currently restoring my 1986 Honda Accord and I've also been learning how to dance. My ex and I broke up last July, a month after I got laid off from work so I really needed to do something. LOL

Back