• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What Remineralisers are you using ?

Zeus.

Fertz Meister
Hi all,

Myself and @Hanuman are in the process of adding a more dedicated Remineralising sheet to the IFC Calculator so folk can make their own remineralisers at a fraction of the cost, with dry dosing and/or remineralising solutions which suit smaller tank remineralising also IMO. It also makes it clear which salts are not suitable for remineralising solutions also due to their limited solubility.

(alpha preview below)
1643796913299.png

Much has been done and still lots to do. We do have a reasonable list of commercial remineralisers below, if your using one that's not on the list please post and let us know so we can add them to our database for comparing/cloning

1643796840267.png

Cheers Zeus.
Data sheet/PDF or pic of data on back of product please, link to website 'if' it there is one -please

Last edited:
Aqua Balance's GH/KH Buffer Up.
Edit: a 2nd look and I see it's called Aqua Balance but is made by Aqua Source. There's no data sheet on the website or packaging bar 4kg treats 40,000 litres, which increases KH by 2, GH by 4

Last edited:
I am using one not on the list, however I think this brand is only used in Norway and thus might not be critical to have in the calculator? They do a small series of various salts. I tried to find a list of ingredients or ratios but were unable to, does this exclude them from entry? Otherwise I can post names, basic prices and how much gh and kh they add.

Aqua Balance's GH/KH Buffer Up
I am using one not on the list, however I think this brand is only used in Norway and thus might not be critical to have in the calculator? They do a small series of various salts. I tried to find a list of ingredients or ratios but were unable to, does this exclude them from entry? Otherwise I can post names, basic prices and how much gh and kh they add.
Data sheet/PDF or pic of data on back of product please, link to website 'if' it there is one -please.
We try to add as many as possible, many was excluded from present version of IFC as the Ca:Mg ratio is unknown - however it has been worked out that if the user chooses the ratio the calculator will do the rest. Most folk/remineralisers use 2.5:1.0 to 4.5:1.0 Ca:Mg ratio and many folk know what parameters they are after so you can just enter your Ca:Mg ratio dKH/dGH choose salts you can get and presto

1643809442922.png

NORAQ GH-Salt
It says it increases the total hardness by way of calcium (80%) and magnesium (20%), and that it also adds cloride ions
Dosing: 9 gram per 100 liters of water increases the total hardness by 1 degree dH (GH)

NORAQ GH/TH+
Using it will add hardness from 80% calcium and 20% magnesium. No cloride ions.
Dosing: 8 gram per 100 liters of water increases the total hardness by 3 degrees
The FAQ confirms that this product is 3 times as concentrated with calcium and magnesium ions in relation to "NORAQ GH-Salt"

There is no MSDS available and no useful information on the tubs themselves.
If this is insufficient data then I think it will be best to forget about this product line

Aqua Balance's GH/KH Buffer Up.
Edit: a 2nd look and I see it's called Aqua Balance but is made by Aqua Source. There's no data sheet on the website or packaging bar 4kg treats 40,000 litres, which increases KH by 2, GH by 4
1643825793218.png

Just been on website and units for hardness is little unclear 'increase KH by 2 c' if its Clarke it should say '2 e' at least :banghead: which would convert 2 e KH to 2.3 dKH
1643826548768.png

your thoughts @dw1305 / @X3NiTH

The FAQ confirms that this product is 3 times as concentrated with calcium and magnesium ions in relation to "NORAQ GH-Salt"
but both products have
1643830175565.png

so 4.0 [Ca] :1.0 [Mg] - notice the 'about 80% ....' this is typical as with a mixed salt not every spoonful will not have the same Ca:Mg ratio as the salt settles in the container

No it’s the other way round. 1°d = 1.24°e

:banghead::oops::thumbup: Cheers m8

So
1643831811954.png

@Hufsa what do you pay per Kilo for the two products - conversion to British pounds '£' at current exchange rates please ;)

So 1c =1.252 dKH

1 KH is 17.848 ppm of CaCO3

A Clark degree is one Imperial grain (64.8 mg) of CaCO3 per Imperial gallon (4.55L) or 14.253 ppm of CaCO3 thus 1 Clark is 14.253 / 17.848 = 0.798 KH.

Clarke is equivalent to KH as it is a measure of CaCO3 content... similarly, if CaCO3 is the only compound that makes up the hardness in the water (i.e. no other Ca or Mg or other minor GH hardness-contributing compounds) then 1 Clarke is also 0.798 dGH...

EDIT: Just to continue to be a stickler, I double checked the units. 1 grain is 64.79891 mg in SI units. 1 Imperial gallon is 4.54609 Liters in SI units - close enough for all intended purposes.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
conversion to British pounds '£' at current exchange rates please ;)
I went for the mid range packaging size of 500g, cause they come in jars between 75g and 25 kilos :lol:
398 Norwegian Krone equals 33.30 Pound sterling for 1 kilo. Both products had the same price.

Im guessing theres no way to include the Chloride ions from the one product because we have no idea how much is in there then?

Back