• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What small lilly for indoor pond?

Id like a small lilly with attractive flowers? Suggestions?

Here is a small list of suitable Nymphaea sp. that could do in your setup.
https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants?filter[fulltext]=Nymphaea&searchCharacter=n
Many cultivar crossbreeds from the listed species could do as well. But that needs some investigation to find out which one is what. Since cultivars, all have fantasy trade names that are not patent protected. A hobbyist can create a cultivar and sell under a whatever name they give it. Or give a known cultivar a different name.

Such as this one
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/i-think-i-am-in-love.37099/
Bought it from a German Nursery with the name N. RosaNymphe Bonsai? Allegedly a small lily cultivar from African descent that's all the nursery could or wanted to tell me. Most likely my personal wild guess an N. Rubra pubescens crossbreed. It is yet the only one i ever managed to get to flower indoors. But this was in a High Tech setup it a rather intense and long light cycle. Nymphaea is a fert and light hog and it's difficult to keep up with this demand in an indoor low tech.

Lily is in so far light-sensitive it doesn't even develop floaters if light demand isn't met. Then don't even think about attractive flowers. If light demand is met fertilization demand must be met then maybe it will flower.
I'm growing lily in the garden in a partially shaded spot, it flowers but very sparsely. The lilies i'm growing currently indoors in low tech setup never flowered and only develop floaters during the summer.

But never say never!?. I haven't tried them all. I've once bought an N. Glandulifera with flowers from a Discus tank owner. And that is a darn difficult lily to grow. I forgot to ask him how the hell he did it. And i failed miserably with it.

Some small cultivars that are readily available in most pond/garden centres are the Pygmaea var.
Nymphaea pygmaea rubra
Nymphaea pygmaea alba
Nymphaea pygmaea helvola

Good luck!..

Last edited:
Maybe just try the tiger lotus that's sold for aquariums. That reliably produces floating leaves under aquarium light, so should do so with sun and I've seen occasional reports of flowers, so again I would guess with sunlight you'd be more likely to see them. It seems to cope better with lower light than a lot of lilies sold for ponds. It has quite attractive lily pads too.

Back