• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What spec scales - Weighing EI chems

sr20det

I need scales to measure up solutions for EL.

Seen a few on the bay ranging from 0-200g and 0-1000g. The latter seems more practical, and could have greater use, but just seeing what the verdict is out there? 200g one is far smaller of course which is nice.

Wondering if someone has bought a 200g and thought should have gone 1kg or vice versa. :thumbup:

Re: What spec scales - Weighing EL chems

200g is more than high enough unless you have another use in mind. Resolution is another consideration though, some measure down to .1 of a g some .01 or even finer in some cases. Depends how accurate you want to be.

Aqua sobriquet said:
200g is more than high enough unless you have another use in mind. Resolution is another consideration though, some measure down to .1 of a g some .01 or even finer in some cases. Depends how accurate you want to be.

Not really, I aint in the drug business anymore seeing my pal Escobar got out the game, (lol, only kidding before you folk try PM'ing me)

I am buying it specifically for EI, so may as well get a 200g one I think, it should suffice, cant see any other use for it.

It's EI, by the way --Estimative Index.

This also seems to cause confusion in the El Natural & Low Tech forum, where there are questions about EI. These words look exactly the same in some fonts I guess.

san-ho-zay said:
It's EI, by the way --Estimative Index.

This also seems to cause confusion in the El Natural & Low Tech forum, where there are questions about EI. These words look exactly the same in some fonts I guess.

Appoligies, yes EI, as in Estimative Index. I have a habit of typing both, as I have both, so fingers flow faster then my head sometimes.

I thought about getting a set of scales to weigh EI salts. But in the end the accuracy doesn't matter and an old teaspoon is perfectly fine. I use fully loaded "visit to salad bar in Pizza Hut" teaspoon full to make plants grow fast and not so fully loaded to grow a bit slower.

Waste of time measuring accurately as you might weigh to nearest gramme then throw it all away as you don't know the precise volume of your tank (hope you deducted substrate volume from true tank volume, as well as volume of plants and fish and added more to take into account the volume of water in your filter and pipes) then I hope you are accurately dispensing an exact amount into the water. Then I hope you are using RO water as you don't know with same level of accuracy whats in your water.....so the list of inaccuracies goes on making probably a teaspoon the most accurate measurement in the whole setup. :D

Anyway do the plants bloomin care if its 20ppm or 20.5ppm or even 30ppm, probably not.

ceg4048 will hopefully be along to confirm in a mo...

ian_m said:
I thought about getting a set of scales to weigh EI salts. But in the end the accuracy doesn't matter and an old teaspoon is perfectly fine. I use fully loaded "visit to salad bar in Pizza Hut" teaspoon full to make plants grow fast and not so fully loaded to grow a bit slower.

Waste of time measuring accurately as you might weigh to nearest gramme then throw it all away as you don't know the precise volume of your tank (hope you deducted substrate volume from true tank volume, as well as volume of plants and fish and added more to take into account the volume of water in your filter and pipes) then I hope you are accurately dispensing an exact amount into the water. Then I hope you are using RO water as you don't know with same level of accuracy whats in your water.....so the list of inaccuracies goes on making probably a teaspoon the most accurate measurement in the whole setup. :D

Anyway do the plants bloomin care if its 20ppm or 20.5ppm or even 30ppm, probably not.

Accurancy isnt my concern, id prob get it wrong even if I tried, lol, its just to get near or there abouts. I wasnt planning on subtracting scape, and all, but as I have read being over is better then being under. So not including those, ensures I am over I guess :thumbup:

What spec scales - Weighing EL chems

ian_m said:

As sure as bears sh*t in the woods.
I have seen him post this response as well as his 'co2 response' in numerous threads. All equate to the same thing,
Ei dosing is not accurate, just an overload. So aslong as theres always a readily available nutrient supply, then your doing your bit.

Same with algae with co2 Or plant deficiencies. Just have a look into his previous posts regarding the matters, and that will tell you all you need to know. On my understanding he is a very clever guy, and a great fountain of knowledge.

All you need to do is listen ;)

Regards,

fluid sensor do some dosing spoons which are great, i gave up weighing a long time ago! was way to much hassle when you can just chuck the salts straight in the tank each day and oddly i see better growth since dosing straight to tank... dont ask me why, maybe because i always heap the spoons instead of flat :? Less time faffing more time enjoying your tank ;)

Measuring volume rather than weight is valid and some recipes have both measurements which is very handy. Weighing only requires one "item" (the balance) which is suitable for measuring ferts for any size tank. Measuring volumes for small tanks, a 20L Nano for example could get tricky dosing directly with salts - or can you get a 1/64 spoon? :lol:

Aqua sobriquet said:
Measuring volume rather than weight is valid and some recipes have both measurements which is very handy. Weighing only requires one "item" (the balance) which is suitable for measuring ferts for any size tank. Measuring volumes for small tanks, a 20L Nano for example could get tricky dosing directly with salts - or can you get a 1/64 spoon? :lol:

This is it see, I have a 25l cube and plan was to cunjur up a solution mix, rather then dosing directly.

Wooooow....for less price that a set of digital bong scales on Ebay you can get a much more accurate set of 24 finest stainless steel teaspoons for only £3.95 delivered. No need to wash them up afterwards just throw them away. :thumbup: Fantastica accurate bargain.

Aqua sobriquet said:
You can still use spoons if it suits you, just use them to make up a 500ml or 1L of solution. 1L may last you some time on a small Nano! :D

You've probably already seen it but if not this may be of use:

http://www.thenutrientcompany.com/aquarium/calculators/

Thats was the site I was planning to use, make 1l solution and dose 15ml ( :lol: ) daily (between Chem/Trace ) with 2 days rest

ian_m said:
Wooooow....for less price that a set of digital bong scales on Ebay you can get a much more accurate set of 24 finest stainless steel teaspoons for only £3.95 delivered. No need to wash them up afterwards just throw them away. :thumbup: Fantastica accurate bargain.

500g Digital Scales was £4.50 i think (with Batteries included). But spoons might be attractive, as I am certain I will get bored with measuring.

any links for the spoons, did you mean on ebay?

Aqua sobriquet said:
Measuring volumes for small tanks, a 20L Nano for example could get tricky dosing directly with salts - or can you get a 1/64 spoon? :lol:

Of course you can - Here :thumbup:

sr20det said:
What the EL do you want to do that for? Those things are expensive as EL.

I've got a great idea; why not just pinch some powder up using your thumb and forefinger and call it good? It'll be OK if you've overestimated by 500% No one will report you to the police from EL. :wideyed:

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
sr20det said:
What the EL do you want to do that for? Those things are expensive as EL.

I've got a great idea; why not just pinch some powder up using your thumb and forefinger and call it good? It'll be OK if you've overestimated by 500% No one will report you to the police from EL. :wideyed:

Cheers,

Less then a jacks sire.

20 B&H cost more or 4 ltrs of fuel. :lol:

SO19Firearms said:
Aqua sobriquet said:
Measuring volumes for small tanks, a 20L Nano for example could get tricky dosing directly with salts - or can you get a 1/64 spoon? :lol:

Of course you can - Here :thumbup:

You know I'm going to edit my post to say 1/128 spoon don't you.... :lol:

sr20det: Will you be going all in one solution or macro/micro? Just wondered.

sr20det said:
Less then a jacks sire.

20 B&H cost more or 4 ltrs of fuel. :lol:
Well, here is the thing; This get's a bit deep so don't freak out too much at what I'm about to say. You can either use it or the throw it away. The choice is yours.
On the face of it, it's not really a big deal if someone uses a fancy electronic scale or fancy spoons or whatever contraption vendors choose to sell. Every now and again there is a really good reason for using these implements.

But 99% of us really don't have a good reason. Your reason, at a profound subliminal level is that you are a slave to The Matrix in exactly the same way as the test kit lovers are enslaved. The Matrix is a prison for your mind, and it reaches out to you as if you wore a halter and were held and steered by some unseen rider at the reins. At a very deep level you fear to get the numbers wrong, to stray to far from the magical ppm level beyond which you fear to tread. This is actually the same old test kit syndrome masquerading as a 1/64th spoon.

So although it doesn't really matter physically, psychologically, it means that you are still trapped, still plugged into The Matrix, and that your mind is working along the same irrational path that got us all into trouble in the first place.

When you decide that no spoons are needed and that no scales are needed it will be like removing the halter and reins, and you will have freed your mind. Freeing your mind from spoons and scales although scary at first will allow you to travel wherever you want to go and in the future, your mind will be unfettered from the fears that clog thinking and problem solving. You will be able to learn more easily, troubleshoot problems more easily and you will be more rational in your approach to the tank.

FREE.....YOUR.....MIND....

Cheers,

Back