• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What the best filter to have on a planted tank

weasel

Just wondering, as the title says, what filters the best to have on a planted tank, i know externally but what type and what media,and what cleaning routines are people doing..

High flow rate, and then just shove a sponge and lots of biomax/rings in the canister. Don't use carbon unless you've boo booed with over dosing - you'd be paying to take stuff out you paid to put in.

Media type is not all that relevant, but get the biggest, baddest filter you can afford. Get two of them even...it doesnt matter what brand.
Filters in CO2 planted tanks get clogged very quickly. Clean them very often.

Cheers,

Media type is not all that relevant, but get the biggest, baddest filter you can afford. Get two of them even...it doesnt matter what brand.
Filters in CO2 planted tanks get clogged very quickly. Clean them very often.

Cheers,

Clogged with what?

Is there a reason why type of media is not relevant, I can only presume very low fish load,NH3/4 not being so much of an issue..Not 100% sure how much NH3/4 is created by aquatic plants....

I have APS filters, bit power hungry though, but first in the through flow I have a coarse sponge, then ceramic media after that and a fine pad to finish.

Worth a look at the power consumption of each filter you consider, the extra cash now may pay for itself in saved energy quite quickly.

weasel, think the consensus is that the plants reduce the worry regarding ammonia and nitrite as they love to eat it! I've read that they will 'use' ammonia as food before they use nitrate.

So am i right in saying in that respect a good mechanical easy to clean filter is best....ammonia is first choice for plants,as its less work for them to convert..

Lurch would the polishing pad not be best before the ceramic..less chance of clogging..

I use the coarse sponge for catching big stuff, polish pad only gets the very fine stuff, it discolours, but doesn't get much crud in it, and there's not much dirt around the ceramics. If that ever changed, I'd shuffle it about. I guess media chambers can be arranged to suit. APS filters don't come with coarse foam, just 3 poly pads, one for each tray. They suggest layering as such:

Bottom tray: pad with plastic balls on top.
Mid tray: pad with ceramics on top
Top tray; pad with carbon on top.

I don't use carbon, it's in a drawer sealed in case I need it. In the top tray I keep spare media in case I need to seed another tank for fry or QT etc.

I get it,I'll have to have a look at these filters..I always make my own, never use pressure type filter only sumps, as aerobic bacteria thrives on aeration and you cant give this in a pressure type filter,but obviously its different in planted tanks as less biological is needed..with a sump you can use massive flow rates as long as the return from tank is big enough to cope...

Weasel, are you planning on running CO2? This will probably be the biggest factor in your filter choice for a planted tank...

Yeh.. got myself a fire extinguisher from work,i can just swap it when it runs out..just need the valve set as the argon valve i got would need converting,as anyone got a link to a decent set.. im using a flow metre to set up the bubble counter..

I get it,I'll have to have a look at these filters..I always make my own, never use pressure type filter only sumps, as aerobic bacteria thrives on aeration and you cant give this in a pressure type filter,but obviously its different in planted tanks as less biological is needed..with a sump you can use massive flow rates as long as the return from tank is big enough to cope...

Got a salty trying to get me to sump my freshwater 240 :)

Did have a salty, to much hassle now,yeh go on sump it,i dare ya, I'll put a few pics of mine up tmora,dead simple to clean filter and do waterchange, 5 minutes jobs done..and i dont get my hands mucky or need a bucket or sink..

If your running CO2 the flow is the key. from what I've read on hear you want to be aiming for 10x turnover. I think this is more important than the type of filter of the media you load it with. dont get bogged down with brands or types of media!

Did have a salty, to much hassle now,yeh go on sump it,i dare ya, I'll put a few pics of mine up tmora,dead simple to clean filter and do waterchange, 5 minutes jobs done..and i dont get my hands mucky or need a bucket or sink..

I'm not against it, but I'm wary of drilling a live tank! Seen a sumped Rio on PFK, got 3 linked tanks in the cupboards. Clever idea, could add 50% to the water volume too, and near double the surface area to boot. I may well cost it up at some point.

Lot of people say there weary of drilling the hole. But to be right theres nothing to worry about, all the pressures on what ever the tanks sat on..cost isnt a great deal. Cheap second hand tank and a bit of pipework..

flow rate of 10x is a bit ott in my opinion,depends on size of tank, how its set up,flow coming in position,where co2 is placed,waterchanges,how many exit pipes and other things..
please its only my opinion though..

I agree, flow isn't everything, circulation is where it's at IMO.

I'd be drilling the tank I have as I've not long upgraded in to it! My salty colleague suggested plasticine behind where I'd drill and plenty of fluid to cool the cutting face. I've seen HOB weirs and returns which could be an alternative. I can get tanks made to fit the cupboards quite cheap from Barlow World/ND. Just the price of the return pump really. Not looked in to it. Plus the Mrs Lurch factor. Forgiveness is easier than permission... :)

You got it Lurch coolings the key,build a dam to contain the fluid for cooling as you cut...Is your tank acrylic or glass..Mines acrylic had it made 3 weeks ago..
eres a pic of what ive got going on under the tank..

P1000709a_zps305d0bcb.jpg

Back