• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What the F**k is this !?! HELP

Kristoph91

I was looking into the shrimp tank this morning, having a coffee..

When I saw what looked like a shrimps molt.
When I looked closer it seemed to be a tiny clear "spring". It was crawling up the moss, very slowly and its movement was really cumbersome.

Is it a parasite?

It scared me a little bit.
I did kill it with the tweezers accidentally. It was about half an inch long!

When I took it out of the water, its skin seemed to be made of a very elastic dot matrix. It was completely see through. Very alien looking.

Here's some pics.

imag1083r.jpg

By krishumphreys at 2012-07-23

imag10831.jpg

By krishumphreys at 2012-07-23

Photography is terrible on my phone, its also a very close up image.

Some expertise would be very appreciated, this thing freaked me out big time :lol:

i have no idea, first thought it might be a sack of eggs but you said it was crawling, weird!

Thats sick Nath. I would do it though for 15 :lol:

If I end up tasting one while siphoning on a WC I'll let you know Darren :lol:

Just found another thing like this in my windowsill floating plant jar. Must be eggs. Not moving ... Panic over ? :lol:

Hmmmm

Yeah they must be red ramshorn. Pity I "killed the parasite".

I've never seen them like that before though! I'm used to pond snails small oval packages!

Thanks Darrel

Eggs form outer space, :)
I expect they may be eggs of a flying insect, I find those eggs in containers that I use for growing mosquitos, there are no snails in the buckets and the gel is a softer jelly than snail eggs.

Not Ramshorns, These are the egg sac for Mosquitos. Find them all the time in the mozzie barrel.

You are ALL wrong !!! That was a very rare and very valuable body of a Guanzhou Silk Fly. It lives underwater in that form but when it pupates it becomes the most incredible multicoloured dragonet. Something like a dragonfly, but looking more like Joseph in his amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat. Once fully transformed, they sell on the open market in China and the Far East for anything up to £25,000 each, so beautiful are their wings. Even as a chryssalis they are worth almost £10,000 per gram making them the most expensive legal commodity on the planet.

Of course, mutiliated by a pair of tweezers by an over zealous aquarist, they are worthless.

:lol: :lol:

Hi all,
Eggs form outer space, :)
I expect they may be eggs of a flying insect, I find those eggs in containers that I use for growing mosquitos, there are no snails in the buckets and the gel is a softer jelly than snail eggs............Not Ramshorns, These are the egg sac for Mosquitos. Find them all the time in the mozzie barrel.
No, I think they are definitely snail eggs, Mosquito eggs look like little bits of soot floating on the water surface. If you prod the egg rafts you can see them split into smaller and smaller bits containing a few eggs.

This them magnified.
mosquito-eggs-2.jpg

cheers Darrel

Sorry I wasn't clear, I know they are not mosquitoes, but they end up in buckets that have been dry, I fill them with mucky water to attract the mosquitoes. That's why I expect that they are eggs of flying insects. I thought that they might be drone fly eggs but I can't find an image of the drone flies eggs, the drone fly larvae are rat tailed maggots and sometimes appear in the mosquito cultures.

Back