• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

what to buy?

pjf220

Seedling
Hi, first post for me.

I've for a Clearseal 48x12x18 tank and just finished building a stand for it. I'm converting the tank from a few goldfish to a tropical set up with live plants (hence joining up here). Not sure how to go about lighting. Need to change what I have and unsure whether to get a new lid or go lidless and get something to clip to the sides of the tank. Hanging is not an option really.

I'm also unsure if lidless is wise as I have mild asthma and humidity is bad and can act as a trigger for an attack so sence says not to, but as I say, it's only mild. Thought about a couple of sheets of perspex to lay flat on the top, but might go green quickly and be a pain to keep clean.

Any thoughts welcome.

Not an overnight project to convert but I'm getting there, still need another tank for the goldfish yet.

Perhaps it would be best in your case to have a lid. There are certain moulds and bacteria that grow in freshwater tanks that may irritate your asthma, it might be advisable to check with your GP. Also asthmatics are more succepible to the effects of damp in a house, which is likely to be made worse with a lidless tank.

If you can't hang a nice luminaire a lid could be a cheaper option even if it may not look as nice.

Yeah a lid would certainly be a benefit to reduce humidity. Currently the goldfish are cold water so not much evaporation, but my mate's tank uses so much water in comparison with the water being heated and this is obviously what I will have to do to be able to keep tropical.

Most if not all plants will grow in unheated tank, temperates are something of a craze forming thing at the moment and lots of trops will happily live in 18c just put a heater in as a precaution and do some research on temperates, there's a lot of very pretty fish out there.

ooo, that's interesting, I knew some trops can live in cooler temps, but just thought it was a select few. Might look further in to that. Definately going down the lid route now, just need to find the right one. Then on to filtration.

Back