• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What to do here, worried!

Parablennius

Right people,
Recently the house next door to me ( corner plot ) was bought by gypsies. They knocked down a 2 metre high flat roof garage and built one with a ridged roof which is about 3 metres at the ridge, it is only 2 feet from my boundary on the south side. It is built from breezeblock, the wood you see is only cladding from the eaves upwards. They are breeding noisy jack russel's in there. Just to keep it interesting they've installed a woodburner, the flue of which exits into my garden space, about 8 foot high, through the gable-end of the new-build. Our prevailing wind will see us smoked out in no time! And it will smoke out my mature Hawthorn that I planted when the kids were little.
Now I've looked on the reg's etc so I know that,
1/ The building is too tall for the proximity to the boundary.
2/ It should not be used for keeping animals in.
3/ The flue is in no way legal, there are strict reg's re height, proximity to combustibles etc.
Problem.
Only I can see the flue so if I report it I'm in the mire. (windows smashed etc)
Only 2 other properties can see the new building. So if I report it it's simply a matter of elimination.
So, do I ring the council or not?? Att. a pic of the flue
Thanks for reading and any advice.
As a footnote, we'll never be able to sell now, either, except perhaps for bugger-all to another gypsy!!
DSCN1971.JPG

Last edited:
I would not want to be in your shoes dealing with that lot.
Although as they have purchased a property they would now be subject to council law.
And also the RSPCA may want to check on the welfare of the Breeding Facility for the Jack Russells.
The council may even be reluctant to get involved with this issue. Seeing as they are Gypos.

All in all, its on you how you want to deal with this issue and what repercussions that would entail. Maybe message your council rep and see what they would advise on how to go froward with this.

Usually the police will take "aninymous" complaints if you have a talk with them, While checking the shed, they could notice it isn't up to code. Might be worth to go have a chat with them, maybe even mention a heavy smell of "weed".

Yes ring the council...you'll need the planning department, the law is very stringent when it comes to planning issues and building regs.
It's also more stringent than it's ever been when dealing with disturbance, so you may want to get Environmental Health involved in the meantime.
Further, there should be a neighbourhood officer, they should be able to help too.
If you're worried about reprisals let the council know and they should inform the police and at least involve the PCSO.
If you're really worried instal CCTV. That way if anything untoward does happen chances are you'll have the evidence to prove it.

Thanks for the replies and advice, guys.
I remember when we extended our house upwards we had to jump through all kinds of hoops re. structure, outline, fire escapes, stairs, alarms, size of windows etc and I know that our neighbours were told of our plans, which how I know this was never submitted. I did send 3 identical anonymous letters to dog warden, environmental health and planning, all for nought. When I asked had they received them, the stock response was "we don't act on anonymous letters". The dog warden did pay us a visit and she was sympathetic, but as you might guess, the dogs were quiet. It comes in waves as they breed them.
This is the issue, I've spoken, by 'phone, to the relevant offices but unless I'm prepared to stick my neck on the block, no-one will act!! I have CCTV system which is currently redundant so I'm considering getting it up and running. What pisses me off is that I've lived here 31 yrs, never a cross word with a neighbour, and end up in this predicament. As you say, my hope was this; The dogs get inspected, leading to the building being outside of planning, use, etc, leading to the woodburner flue being a joke, which it clearly is. Also correct that the authorities are reluctant. There's a daughter of secondary school age that never goes to school. Anyone else would get nailed! I forgot to mention the poultry on the front lawn which has now, thankfully, disappeared.
Cheers

If they are puppy farming you could find you'll local animal activist group - there is bound to be one and tip them off and let them do the reporting. Particularly if the dogs are ending up on local selling sites etc.

I guess you've really got no choice but to be upfront about it. There is always the possibility that if you don't resolve the situation sooner than later it could deteriorate further. If the council and police aren't proactive enough you can always leverage the situation using the local media. They hate bad publicity.
Also, don't waste time with minions, write to the CEO of the council, and if you're not satisfied with any police responses write to the Chief Constable.
Further, get your local councillors involved too. Many councils are councillor led so they have a lot of power and sway with the police.
And if it really becomes a problem, go and see your MP. I see he's a conservative, that should be in your favour politically. Even if they are too busy to personally oversee events their Senior Caseworkers are usually on the ball.

I know someone that was in a similar situation, noise, rubbish thrown around the place, arguments.., etc..Same neighbors had a dog that was bound to a leash and left to almost starve in the back yard. My friend brought them to court for animal cruelty. One thing led to another and it turns out they were not working, claiming welfare under 2 different names, con artists etc...etc...So it worked out fine in the end after some horrible years my friend had to endure.....

Have you tried talking to them neighbour to neighbour? I know there is probably animosity on both sides but I remember many years ago friends of mine ended up with people from that ethnic background buying a very grand place in rural Berkshire and everyone was up in arms... they also had mini goats who'd attack us when we rode down the bridlepath on our horses and had rather aggressive dogs, chickens and kids.

After a while two of us met one of them out riding and one of (our) horses got hurt and he helped, went to get a vet (days before mobiles) and got a trailer to take horse to the vets. Once we got talking much of the mutual animosity vanished and bit by bit it sort of all got sorted, the mini goats contained, dogs introduced and chickens brought under control. They were actually really nice people once we got to know them.

Remember they have been subjected to generations of discrimination (like any ethnic group there are bad eggs and good eggs) and often they are better on your side than not?

Just to add everyone here as good advice, but as Tim says get your local councillors details, if possible see them at a surgery, what you have here is a couple of things going on and it’s classed as distress but try to stay calm. Some local authority’s are very slow to initially react ,so get names log calls of anyone you contact and try to get email proof and I would definetly get a couple of written letters to your council leader so you have something in writing. If your local authority is slow to act a letter to your MP. Report anything to the RSPCA can be confidential too. Above all else as said try to get on with these people at the end of the day as Petra says even though it’s stressful at the moment. Speak to friendly neighbour even though they might not be directly affected as a witness to how it develops just in case it escalates in the wrong way. If thePolice get involved it’s a last resort in my opinion, hope it all works out for you

As a footnote, we'll never be able to sell now, either, except perhaps for bugger-all to another gypsy!!View attachment 115467

Gypsy or not, but what they did as shown in the picture is a major fire hazard. They are playing with your lives.. :) Call the fire department explain and ask what you need to do.. This gets the ball roling..
Employees at the fire department all are macho's very keen on their job.. They are selected beeing macho's, selected on character, to follow command without questions asked when there's no time for discussion. That's why they never ask for a key and always break down doors immediately. They love that, that's a piece of the action didn't bring the aks to ask a key!?. :) Fire hazard gets alarm bels ringing, even tho they are macho's, still don't like to put their lives on the line to save yours if it can be prevented.. You just might be lucky with the question "What do i need to do?" That the fire department comes looking and informes the proper authorities and than the rest of the illegal building method comes roling out on itself.

That flue is your trump card.. :)

I'm surprised that the council wasn't interested in the planning permission as myself and 3 neighbours have had them turn up to inspect our builds. We know who complained only because she has form for it and we're told it's confidential by the inspector. 3 had planning permission already and we didn't need it as it's classed as a temporary structure and within limits. They certainly are hot on it here so I would get onto them again. The flue should come under building regs which they have clearly broken and will strengthen your argument.

Morning all
Thanks for your constructive comments,some of which I'd already considered.
I did speak to him once about the dogs, but instead of complaining, I went down the "concerned" route and asked if his dog was OK as it had woke me up, whining. He just said "it's got pups". No apology. End of conversation.
There has been no animosity either way. I go out of my way to be polite, but this has worked against me in this case and I feel that my easy going nature has been exploited.
I'm sure the Council will investigate, but only if I make a formal written complaint and I'm imagining the spin-off if he has to demolish the building. It took just a couple of minutes on Google to confirm my fears about the building and the woodburner flue. It's a balance now between the risk factor of reporting, only I can see the flue, or maybe, waiting 'till he burns his own building down. That flue will surely melt the plastic capping to the tiles. I'll give it more thought.
cheers

From time to time we get firemen walk up the road offering checks on our houses. You could maybe contact the local brigade and explain the situation. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't mind pretending they were checking your house when they saw the flue.

Ime with Gypsies and I know quite a few they know the law inside and out better than most. I'm guessing regarding the wood burner they are going to go down the route of the building is not residential. If no one is living in it then technically it doesn't come under building Reg's for residential properties. It's the equivalent of you having a fire in your back garden, nothing to stop you doing that as long as you don't annoy the neighbours or burn certain things. If it's on all the time you could argue you can't open your windows on hot nights because your house fills with smoke and come under nuisance law.

Regarding the dogs, commercial breeder need registered with their local authority, obviously they are going to say they aren't selling them and just breed for friends, they aren't stupid. I think your lead in is council planning, as far as I'm aware you can't have a structure over 2.5m high within 2m of your boundary line. How do you get on with your other neighbours, are they having issues with them? Sometimes its best to join forces if possible and if you do have to stick your neck on the line just do what they do and lie through your teeth. Just say the council turned up randomly for another reason and just happened to spot it.

The council will let you stay anonymous as long as the case is between them and the council. Its not like you're filing a personal complaint, you are just pointing it out and it's up to the council whether or not they proceed and follow up. As such they have no need to name you as you're not complaining but you will get more joy if you do speak to someone rather than sending anonymous letters. I'm sure if you explain the circumstances and knowing how these things tend to pan with gypsies I'm sure they will understand your fears and tell you whether or not they would have to name you.

Having said all that, I know a lot of travellers who are hard working fair men. In the main they tend not to blahblahblahblah in their own nests so I'll be surprised if they want to take on their neighbours when they've settled on premises. They don't need the heat as it prevents them doing "other things" to make money. Fair enough when they're in a temporary camp, they just cause mayhem and move to another camp when it gets spooky but in permanent residence they tend to stay off the radar if possible.

Yes, this is the issue with the building. It aint temporary, it's over two and half metres tall and just a couple of feet from the boundary. Correct, it's not residential, YET! He tried to sell my son a pup for £300.00, but dog warden says he's not licensed. The flue from the woodburner is clearly miles from the stipulated regs, easily found on the net, and a fire risk. I did speak to planning over the 'phone but as I say they wont act until a make complaint myself!
cheers

Good news for you ,pretty soon or maybe now woodburners are to be banned or illegal because of fumes and health hazard,saw it on news yesterday Could be a good thing to pursue

Yes, this is the issue with the building. It aint temporary, it's over two and half metres tall and just a couple of feet from the boundary. Correct, it's not residential, YET! He tried to sell my son a pup for £300.00, but dog warden says he's not licensed. The flue from the woodburner is clearly miles from the stipulated regs, easily found on the net, and a fire risk. I did speak to planning over the 'phone but as I say they wont act until a make complaint myself!
cheers
Take it higher then mate. Speak to someone higher up and tell them that you have pointed it out to planning and no one has bothered to follow up. Insist that due to fear of repercussions you want to remain anonymous. If the council are aware of it it's their responsibility to d something about it due to duty of care to the public. The argument is between them and the gypsies and no need for you to be named. If you see a dangerous thing on a public roads once reported it's not up to you to follow that up its the duty of the county council.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

Planning departments are not what they were, I have seen superb porches in the past built and because correct prochedure ignored made to be taken down.These days because of PC over the top attitudes anything goes with these depts and you get tangled up in red tape.Thats were a councillor comes in to sort it out and it can still be confidential, I would write to your MP with the issue if nothing seems to happen Has dog warden said what he or she can do?

Back