• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What to do with fish during a re-scape?

Bobtastic

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could share what they do with their beloved fishies whilst they are rescaping their homes?

I'm sure I've read of some of the more "hardcore" scapers taking the fish back or returning them. I assume to the lfs and not there maker! ;)

For those that wish to keep their original stocking what do ppl usually do? I don't really have the space to put them in my other tank so I'm planning to get an 80litre plastic tube as a temporary home. Is this what other ppl do?

I am mildly concerned about running my filter in such a smaller container, but I want to keep the filter running and the fish alive whilst scaping.

So... what does everyone else do??

Hi Bob
Ive used the Wilkinson's square plastic containers before without any problems although these where about 40 liters.
Also they have lids.
If your wary about leakage buy two and put one inside the other, the first container will need some sand inside to support the bottom of the upper container as this will not got down to the bottom of the first container because of the rim.
When finished with them you can use for storage.
Regards
hoggie

I've done the same.
Found just one container plenty strong enough (used B&Q ones FWIW).
They now store my old substrates.

I put the external on with the outlet in a corner to break up the flow.
With some plants in there for cover.

If you think about it, what's the container but an opaque tank, you'll be fine. You won't have as large a bacterial colony so it's worth feeding less but other than that you'll be fine, it is probably worth dialing back a large filter if you can just to make it less stressful on the fish but really there's not much else to consider.

I've used horse buckets (those tubs that hold 90l) and they're fine long term, I know of someone who uses a paddling pool when doing reef rescapes so anything is suitable as long as you take into account not stressing the fish overly and the reduced ammonia absorbing qualities of a new setup.

I take out plants and hardscape, These go in a bucket.

Then I put tank water in a lidded 10 litre tub. Then put the fish in, wrap with blanket and put it somewhere safe.

Then I sort out all the duties I need to do i.e. substrate, re hardscape, replant, fill with water.

Then as soon as water is up to temp the lidded container gets floated. acclimatise for 1 hour and back in.

More often than not the fish are left in the buket overnight and returned the next morning.

Jobs a good 'un

AC

i like the paddling pool idea would have to lock dog in garden though he likes a swim

I have several old 10ltr paint tubs which I use :)

Fish come out white thoug. lol

AC

Back