• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What To Do With These?

Turvey

Skip-dived these two glass receptacles a few years ago and my mum was using them as cloches for delicate plants. Now I've got them back I'm wanting to put them to some kind of use, but what?

They're about 20 inches tall, 11 wide with the opening of 7 1/2. The bottom can easily be sealed with a solid rubber homebrew/wine cork.

I had thought about 2 similar setups with different species of fish etc in each but I've been watching YT videos on closed terrariums and thought one of each side by side might look ok. Getting something to close the top would need to be worked out of course.

I just built the rough stand to keep them up out of the way in a safe place but I think it could work as a permanent fixture if I tarted it up a bit, I would also need to light it somehow.

Bonus points if anyone can work out what they were originally used for.

Attachments

• IMG_20220430_154157801.jpg
    IMG_20220430_154157801.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 237
  • IMG_20220430_154230622.jpg
    IMG_20220430_154230622.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20220430_154429719.jpg
    IMG_20220430_154429719.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 126
Yeah, they could definitely do with a good clean right enough.

No fish? I thought 5 or 6 White Clouds would be ok?

Yeah, they could definitely do with a good clean right enough.

No fish? I thought 5 or 6 White Clouds would be ok?
I sincerely hope you’re trying to bait me into falling for a wind up.
There’s no fish that will be ok in something that size I’m afraid.
Not chilli rasbora, not a Betta fish, Not guppy, nothing. Shrimp would be fine.

I sincerely hope you’re trying to bait me into falling for a wind up.
Certainly not trying to bait you or wind you up, that's not my style on a forum where I'm not a big poster.

I honestly thought that a few small fish would be ok, I've certainly seen fish in a lot smaller volume of water. Not that that is an excuse to keep fish in inadequate conditions of course. Maybe just some shrimp and snails then.

Certainly not trying to bait you or wind you up, that's not my style on a forum where I'm not a big poster.

I honestly thought that a few small fish would be ok, I've certainly seen fish in a lot smaller volume of water. Not that that is an excuse to keep fish in inadequate conditions of course. Maybe just some shrimp and snails then.
It’s hard to gauge their size mate. You’d have to make your own judgment call. If the diameter is more than 30cm then I’d say you probably would be fine with a fish or two.

It’s hard to gauge their size mate. You’d have to make your own judgment call. If the diameter is more than 30cm then I’d say you probably would be fine with a fish or two.
well, 11 inches is about 30cm. i'd say a couple chilli rasbora and some shrimp would be nice! but that's just me.

If you do choose to fill these with water, bear in mind that your very carefully arranged plants/wood will look totally different once it’s flooded given the refraction of the curved glass.

Hear speaks the voice of experience.

They look nice... :) And look something like a funnel that once had a cap/lid.
I've seen smaller ones that look similar.
0002044_f-410048-glass-funnel-300ml_415.jpeg

What I'm thinking is to use them upside down as a Bell Jar on a wooden plate
UTB8l3YouVfJXKJkSamHq6zLyVXa4.jpg

If wood is used it's essential to treat it with an epoxy coating to waterproof it. Then scape the plate with a planted clay ball or something else and make sure the jar fits as a bell jar over it. The neck that is at the top then can be plugged with a glass wine bottle plug or even something more fancy looking plugs with attributes from laboratory glass equipment if it fits...

Have a look at @LondonDragon 's first terrarium.

Sign up to Pinterest, this actually is a very inspirational community where people post Pictures of interest (hence Pinterest). Then search this community with affiliated terms and you'll find loads of examples, ideas and creations and maybe a link to the source with more info.

Such as this bell jar on a plate... :)
aad77be801fe58b98cbb75f4fbafdbf5.jpg

Last edited:
Back