• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What to do?

Dominic

My tank is going to be a 300litre planted, using 80 watts of t8 light over it, with injected co2, should i use reflectors or would a white surface be sufficient?

Should i add another 38w tube? or would what i have be sufficient?

It will be enough with reflectors no doubt.

Its just a rough guidance really and to be honest you really don't need that much lighting as in 2w per gallon to have a nice planted tank. CO2 is more crucial than how many watts per gallon which people preach about. Most of the so called advance plants are more fussy about CO2 levels rather than lighting levels. For example, some people can grow glosso using relatively low light providing that their CO2 distribution to the glosso is adequate.

I would go at least for 150W for your 300L tank, but it depends of course on how densely planted and which species are you planning to include. You always can start with your current 80W T8 lighting system and then add more fluorescents if you notice that light if not enough.

I had T8 as well, but I have recently moved to T5 and they are great in terms of saving space in your aquarium lighting hood.

With decent reflectors , you will increase intensity by about 50%. As stated above, you can always add more light as plant mass increases.

What results should i expect from things like HC with that sort of light? if i had two t8 tubes with reflectors.

Does tank height play a factor? as it is going to be quite a shallow tank- 37.5cm.

Hi,
id agree with Michael W and id be more inclined to ensure good c02 to the plant than lots of light initially. Id start with your t8 lighting with reflectors. You cant overdo c02 (unless there is livestock already present in the tank), but its easy to add too much light.
You always can start with your current 80W T8 lighting system and then add more fluorescents if you notice that light if not enough.
Id agree with jose j here too, you can always increase light once you have a good balance and healthy plants, but if you use too much initially and your plants melt then it is costly to replace them. Once your plants have acclimated to submerged life and are healthy then you can add extra lighting for faster growth if you choose, but you will also need to increase c02 and ferts accordingly.
What results should i expect from things like HC with that sort of light? if i had two t8 tubes with reflectors.

Does tank height play a factor? as it is going to be quite a shallow tank- 37.5cm.
i doubt you will have very fast growth, but getting your plants healthy and sustainable from the start is more confidence inspiring than the alternative which is melt and algae. Of course if your distribution is good and c02 levels are very high then you can use more light, but give the plants time to adapt first.
Shallower tanks can be more susceptible to higher substrate par levels, but again this depends upon the lighting used, height of the lighting unit above the water surface, the hardscape layout and planting style, all of which can effect how light is filtered within your tank. Whatever the tank dimensions, its always a balancing act between light, co2, flow and fertilisers to get things just right.

Cheerio,
Ady.

Really low growing plants dude. Need their vitamins. We hulkamaniacs need to ensure co2 delivery to the substrate man. that's the issue, and not always easy, brother.

Back