• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

what to put inside external filter

Stu Worrall

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hi all

progress with my tank is going well although theres no water in it yet!

Having come back to planted tanks after a bit of a break im after some advice on what to put in the filter. The previous guy I drained of knowledge at Alisons Aquarium advocated just putting Sera Siporax in his filters and nothing else, no filter wool or foam, just as much siporax as would fit in. Now with things changing quite a bit since the last time I did this I was after some advice as to whether this was a good thing to do?

Im using a Sera Fil 900 to go in my Rio 125 with a spraybar and its two baskets are currently filled with siporax. Should I be adding or taking anything away from these?

thanks

Siporax (aka Sintered glass media) is rated highly as due to its large surface area it can support large bacterial colonies.

I like to put lots of fine wool in as well to ensure that I remove fine particles and get crystal clear water.

I also have foam and bio balls for the simpe reason that they came with my filter ;)

Hope that helps.

PS Your plants have just gone in the post :)

I always add zeolite as the last stage of filtration on a new tank, to deprive algae of using ammonia to get an early foot hold. Placing it as the last stage means that the developing bacteria colony get first dibs on the ammonia.

I like to use Purigen as well for crystal clear water. It removes nitrogenous waste and various water discolourants.

As a rule, I like to keep filter media minimal to keep the filter turn over up.

Dave.

Back