• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What type of algae is this?

FISHnLAB

Hey guys, today is water change day and I have noticed some new algae that I haven't seen before. It's only on my Christmas moss that is closest to the lighting. It is reddish brown in colour(rust almost) and is fibrous. Does anyone know what type it is? And, what is a suggested course of action if any? Thanks👍.

Last edited:
Hey guys, today is water change day and I have noticed some new algae that I haven't seen before. It's only on my Christmas moss that is closest to the lighting. It is reddish brown in colour(rust almost) and is fibrous. Does anyone know what type it is? And, what is a suggested course of action if any? Thanks👍.
View attachment 199064
View attachment 199065
Diatoms. Course of action? Wait it out. Or remove it if it gets too unsightly.

Diatoms. Course of action? Wait it out. Or remove it if it gets too unsightly.
Diatoms? Really? I have never seen diatoms in a fibrous hair/antler like structure before like in my pics? I've had plenty of diatoms in my tanks but, they are usually just a coating of brown on everything. What gives? Just a different type/form of diatoms? Thanks for your help again and Merry Christmas PND🎄.

On a different albeit similar note...

I finally had a chance to do some testing on my new tank on water change day(day 7) just now and my Phosphate levels are high so I think I am feeding the fish too much(my tank is immaculately clean so it isn't a dead plant matter issue). Test results...

pH - 7.8
TDS - 127ppm
PO4 - 2ppm
NO3 - 10ppm

Full tank pic right before water change on day 7...

So, do you guys think I should add some phosphate reducer to the canister after I do my water change(50%) today or just feed less and wait it out? Thanks.

Last edited:
Filamentous diatoms 😊

So, do you guys think I should add some phosphate reducer to the canister after I do my water change(50%) today
Does your LFS (Local fish store) owner need a second BMW? 😅 They dont need more money from fancy filter media

just feed less and wait it out? Thanks.
Its fine, its plant food! You could feed a bit less if you want, or do nothing at all. But definitely not something to fret about

Hey Hufsa, Merry Christmas to you🎄.
Filamentous diatoms 😊
Ah, ok it's a new type for me(I'm sure there will be many more types for me to experience in person going forward 😂).
Does your LFS (Local fish store) owner need a second BMW? 😅 They dont need more money from fancy filter media
Both a single phosphate reduction pad and a box of 3 mesh bags of Granular Ferric Oxide came with my canister when I bought it so there is no cost. I was more wondering if it was worth using them to speed things up or better to just reduce feeding and wait for P04 levels to hypothetically drop.
Its fine, its plant food! You could feed a bit less if you want, or do nothing at all. But definitely not something to fret about
Ok, as you know I tend to fret😁. Bare with me but, here are/were my thoughts(no idea if I'm right but, I'm learning and figure it will help to explain my thought process so you can tell me if I'm on the wrong or right track so to speak)...

So, I mainly use the duckweed index now but, did some selective testing today as I wanted to see how things were going on water change day as I'm balancing the tank still and learning how to manage my first real planted community tank(I also haven't fully kicked the habit lol). I had noticed that new algae I asked about, and when I saw the high phosphate levels(I usually see zero phosphate in my other tanks) I assumed it was caused by the high phosphate. My tank is kept very clean(by myself, 6 Cory's, & a platoon of Malaysian Trumpet Snails) so I assumed the high phosphate was caused by excessive feeding. I have never owned or ran a community tank before so I have no idea if I am feeding the right amount(I'm still learning and trying to find balance with that). So, my plan was/is to reduce feeding and see what my phosphate levels are next water change day but, I figured I would mention phosphate reducers as an option as I have three different ones on hand as mentioned above.

Anyway, I'm probably fretting too much again lol(although I think this explains a lot of the early success I have had in the hobby so maybe not so bad🤔)but, any corrections, suggestions, or criticisms would be greatly appreciated as usual. They really help me learn👍.

Last edited:
Both a single phosphate reduction pad and a box of 3 mesh bags of Granular Ferric Oxide came with my canister when I bought it so there is no cost. I was more wondering if it was worth using them to speed things up or better to just reduce feeding and wait for P04 levels to hypothetically drop.

In general. the PO4 you dose is fine and wont cause issues - many of us run our tanks (currently or previously) at pretty elevated PO4 levels. Build up of PO4 from organic waste is not good however - not because of the PO4 as such, but because of the waste. The only meaningful remedy is frequent water changes and removal of visible debris. If you experience unexpected PO4 levels and run a clean tank it could be your water source or that you have your dosing of fertilizers off. All that said, your PO4 measurement of 2 ppm is fine. As for the Filamentous diatoms, they will go away as the tank matures.

Cheers,
Michael

Back