• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What water conditioner do you use?

Matt Holbrook-Bull said:
request a water report from your supplier, that will tell you how much/if your water has chloramine or chlorine in it.. then you can make your choices from there.. its likely that inner city areas will probably have more in it due to water recycling, rural areas less so.

I got my water report a while back, Severn Trent make them freely available via their website. That's how I know that our water contains quite a lot of chlorine, fluoride and copper (the copper is only a trace amount, but when combined with copper in plant ferts can reach toxic levels for inverts).

Ade

Wolfenrook said:
(the copper is only a trace amount, but when combined with copper in plant ferts can reach toxic levels for inverts).
Oh really? Do you think that could be why I can't keep shrimp?

stuworrall said:
ive used it in the past but was advised/convinced to go RO. Just setting up my tanks again now so not sure whether to go RO again or just buy some dechlorinator.
I wouldn't bother with RO, just use your tap water and add some dechlorinator if you have fish in there.

I don't use anything. I used to use Tetra AquaSafe but when i was advised that it doesn't kill chloramines then i stopped all together.

Dan Crawford said:
I don't use anything. I used to use Tetra AquaSafe but when i was advised that it doesn't kill chloramines then i stopped all together.
Yeah I dose when I remember to add it while filling up the tank again whith a hose. Sometimes it bypasses me!

LondonDragon said:
stuworrall said:
ive used it in the past but was advised/convinced to go RO. Just setting up my tanks again now so not sure whether to go RO again or just buy some dechlorinator.
I wouldn't bother with RO, just use your tap water and add some dechlorinator if you have fish in there.
i guess its time to sell the unused RO-man as well as the PH controller then :lol: ill be able to put the proceeds towards more plants and a better substrate :D

Hi All,

I don't use any De-chlor either, but I do use an HMA filter cartridge (actual name Pentek CBR2-10, removes chlorine and heavy metals), I also use RO (but that's a discus thing ;) ).

IMO, Modern water companies, quite often mix & match from differing areas, dependant upon season, rainfall and 'ground-works' hence the water (particuarly Chlorine & Chloramines) can vary dramaticaly (don't trust the 6month avergae web-site tests!!).

Chlorine will de-gas over-night (with an added air-stone), but chloramines will not!

Check here for which is best for you! http://www.pentekfiltration.com/cartcarb.asp

Better-safe than sorry, Cheers, Mick B :D 8)

Back