what watts?? - Rio 180

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by mikeljojo, 28 Apr 2008.

1. mikeljojo

mikeljojo Newly Registered

Hi,

I'm mucho confused about calcuating WPG for T5 lights. I have a Rio 180, fitted with x2 45 watt tubes - but what WPG does this work out to?

I understand the calculation for T8's - but are the claims about T5's acurate when they state 150% brighter than T8 tubes?

Cheers,

Mike.

2. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

You have about 2wpg. Don't worry yourself about actual levels too much.

With good CO2 and other nutrients your light will be enough to grow most, if not all, plants.

3. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

I've got the same tank and with enough flow and CO2 I've got loads of plants growing rampantly. I would fit some good reflectors though and D-D gull wing reflectors just fit and are well worth the money - a different class from the Jewel ones.

4. mikeljojo

mikeljojo Newly Registered

Thanks for the words of advice and reassurance!! At least I can proceed with some confidence now.

I'm really pleased with how the tank is looking - despite it having no plants yet! I'm fortunate enough to live about 30 mins away from The Green Machine, so went along a couple of weeks ago to pick out a couple of pcs of Redmoor for the hardscape. Took me over half an hour to sort through the huge selection they have, but landed on a couple of crackers!

Will post some images in the next week and introduce myself properly - as I'm a newbie to ukaps.

Thanks again,

Mike.

5. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Welcome aboard and good luck with the project, just keep throwing those questions our way hehe ;)