• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What weight will the bottom of a tank take?

mr. luke

Anyone have a rough idea of how much weight an aquarium base could take?
Id like to try the large 'master stone' arangement in a 120l...... but i dont know if the base will like me for it :rolleyes:
i could place polystyerene on the base if that would help ;) i think the base is 6mm glass.

Rocks don't really weigh much more than the water so the actual weight of them isn't really an issue. It's the point load of a rock resting on three or more points in the tank that can cause problems. So adding something to spread the weight out is a good idea, but I'm not sure I'd use polystyrene in the tank as it could break apart. Maybe pond liner underlay or just sand or planting substrate?

I've used polysyrene in the past (lots of it) and it can get a bit messy after a while especially if you move things around a bit later on or are using lots of rocks, but still a very workable solution IMHO. Recently another solution that I have used is to get a sheet of perspex and cut it to the size of the bottom of the tank, this works very well :thumbup:

Back