• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What/who are you listening too?

Steve Smith

Figured this is one of those threads that needs to be on every forum... And I couldn't find one in Off Topic, so I figured why not :)

Anyhow, currently I'm sitting at my desk fiddling with drivers and laptops, listening to Emiliana Torrini. just moved onto her older album "Love in the time of Science". Not as good as her newer albums it seems, but still good :)

Limited music selection at work unfortunately.

How about you?

I love my music to the point of obsession. I amassed 3,000 pieces of vinyl then thankfully mp3s came along which saved me spending even more!

Right now I'm dipping my ears into a little bit of Alice Russell

Yesterday I listened to...

Kraan - 70's german prog rock at its best!
www.solidsteel.net - they stream a set every week, second half of this weeks set is a Herbie Hancock interview.
A lot of dub reggae (mainly Wayne Jarrett and other artists off the Wackies label circa 1970)

I have'nt got a favourite type of music, but right now I'm having a bit of a 90's dance music fetish :D . At this very moment I'm listening to Blackbox- Ride on time.......CHOOOON 8)

Currently on "Wet Stuff" by The Folk Implosion. Might recognise it from the old Breath internet adverts from around 2000 (4 repetative piano notes).

Next up, it's one of my favourite albums of the moment, Four Tet - "Rounds". Some great tunes on that album :)

cichlidsrgr8 said:
I have'nt got a favourite type of music, but right now I'm having a bit of a 90's dance music fetish :D . At this very moment I'm listening to Blackbox- Ride on time.......CHOOOON 8)

I love that tune as well. Jocellyn Brown on the vocals if I remember rightly. She is the business, best UK female soul vocalist IMHO. With Omar taking it for best UK male soul vocalist :D I reckon he influenced a lot of the ubiquitous American R&B we hear today.

SteveUK said:
Currently on "Wet Stuff" by The Folk Implosion. Might recognise it from the old Breath internet adverts from around 2000 (4 repetative piano notes).

Next up, it's one of my favourite albums of the moment, Four Tet - "Rounds". Some great tunes on that album :)

I like a little bit of four tet, some if it is just too weird for me though.

See, I told you I was obsessive about music!

SteveUK said:
I'm onto Frou Frou now. Imogen Heap has a great voice.

I have never heard of Frou Frou or Imogen Heap, which is great, because it is new music for me to listen to :D

i'm not really into listening to much music at the moment I'm obsessed with The Wire DVDs.

I will say though I'm on a bit of a Smiths tip at the moment so I'm bascially listening to all my Smiths albums. That and Ry Cooders theme to Paris, Texas. Depends what I come across in iTunes really.

I'm driving up to Scotland on Friday for work so I will be taking the new WORD cd along, The WORD I think is the best music monthly out there at the moment.

I've just realized i've got Muse on my iPod! :lol:

Got thousands of songs and hardly touch it. I blagged my music nut mate to slap a ton of stuff on it.
Never really bothered with Muse before, or any of the new stuff.
(More of a Hendrix man)
But I like Muse now.

My top 25 bands according to Itunes are:
1. the postal service elctronica/indie crossover act, very enjoyable
2. attack in black southern metal
3.pig destroyer grindcore/death metal
4. death cab for cutie indie, also one half of the postal service
5. pretty girls make graves indie
6. the blood brothers prog punk/post screamo
7.optimus rhyme nerdcore hip hop
8. sage francis underground hip hop (for fans of emotion not guns and bling)
9.atmosphere '' ''
10.aesop rock '' ''
11. the killers indie
12. the wombats indie/pop
13. square pusher experimental elecrtonica/noise core
14. Minotaur shock laptop folk/ electronica
15. against me! punk
16.alexisonfire Screamo
17.bayside punk/screamo/hardcore
18.anberlin powerpop/emo
19.the gallows hardcore
20. architects hardcore
21.atom and his package damage/electro-pop
22. girl talk b$%£!&d pop/cut copy (think anything up to 300 clips of other songs put together into something entirely new)
23.dan le sac vs. scroobius pip UK underground hiphop/spoken word (for fans of sage francis)
24.does it offend you yeah? Electronica/ dance rock crossover act
25.the bled hardcore/screamo

Worthy of mention are:
Mewithoutyou progressive
mac lethal underground hiphop
piebald indie
mgmt electronica/psychedelic/dance
murder by death post punk takes the story telling and whisky drinker voice of johhny cash to a new level.
johhny cash country
lightspeed champion country/indie
oxford collapse indie
islands experimental/indie
hot chip electronic/inde
hot hot heat post pop/post punk
maylene and the sons of disaster southern metal

To avoid anyone downloading anything that will make their hair go grey I've edited in the bands genre.

Currently, I'm listening/watching the last US presidential debate. Sounds like a snooze, but it's sorta interesting to listen to how much of a c*ck John McCain is :lol:

Also been listening to Salt, Psapp (cool "Toy Pop" band), Regina Spektor and a few others.

I was listening the other day and that palin woman said that "dinosaurs were created by jesus 500 years ago to test our faith". This woman is an idiot.

I respect people's views and beliefs, but when they start pushing them onto others and saying "you must believe or else" then it gets my goat.

It's funny hearing how McC*ck (as I've decided to call him from now on) starts to answer a specific question and then vears off to take a random digg at Obama on a totally different subject. He also reminds me of a characature of Tom Cruise in some ways. I keep thinking he's about to spout off about Scientology... :rolleyes:

The 3 CDs in my multi changer at the mo are: Marillion-Marbles (disc 1), Yes-Fragile, Muse-Absolution.

AC

SteveUK said:
I respect people's views and beliefs, but when they start pushing them onto others and saying "you must believe or else" then it gets my goat.

It's funny hearing how McC*ck (as I've decided to call him from now on) starts to answer a specific question and then vears off to take a random digg at Obama on a totally different subject. He also reminds me of a characature of Tom Cruise in some ways. I keep thinking he's about to spout off about Scientology... :rolleyes:

I'm always struck by how much he looks like Wallace of Wallace and Gromit fame!!! When he does that silly walk with his arms slightly out from his body and then grins and waves I just keep waiting for him to ask whether Palin (very scary woman that) wants some Wensleydale...

As to music there's always a Faithless CD in my Autochanger - permanently. Closely followed by Jack Johnson.

Recently I've really liked the new Coldplay album.

Other times I mostly listen to dance (most sub-genres except commercial stuff).

I also have a soft spot for older Indie bands - The Stone Roses, Charlantans, Ride, Inspiral Carpet, Jesus Jones, Ned's Atomic Dustbin etc.

Back