• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What would you change about this setup?

Sacha

Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted here! I have a Juwel Rio 125 now moderately planted low tech with very easy plants (swords, anubias, ludwigia, hygrophila). This tank used to be high-tech but it was just way more trouble than it was worth for me.

I recently re-scaped the tank and am keen to make it look the best it can without Co2, and I'm wondering whether any of you guys would recommend changing anything about my current setup (particularly photoperiod, but also fertiliser regime, water changes etc.) to make it thrive. I'm just after any general advice on my setup.

Juwel Rio 125
2x Arcadia Plant Pro J5 (28w each = 56w total)
Upgraded internal filter (1000lph)
Eheim Professional 3 600 external filter (1250lph)
Both filters output through spraybars pointing straight forwards from the back of the tank to the front
One spraybar pointed slightly upwards to create surface agitation (nothing extreme- just a ripple)
Easycarbo 5ml dosed daily before lights on
EI fertilisers dosed daily as per instructions
Photoperiod: 14:30-22:30 = 8 hours.
Fortnightly water changes of 50L (approximately 50% of total water volume)
Livestock: 17 Cardinal Tetras, 11 Corydoras Trilineatus, 4 Silvertip Tetras, 2 Pentazona barbs, 2 Zebra Danios (adoptions from a friend...), 2 Otocinclus, 1,000,000,000 malaysian trumpet snails.

I know weekly water changes are best, but I recently became very busy with work and have slipped into fortnightly changes. I've been doing this for about 6 months now and my fish have never been healthier/ happier.

Any advice much appreciated.

That's a lot of filtration :D I too was doing weekly water changes and went down to fortnightly. I have seen no issues, no algae buildup, water chemistry is fine so the fish are happy. So long as you're filtered well and not overstocked its fine.

Back