• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

whats causing these plants to die (pictures Inc)

tovtm

hi can anyone tell me what's going wrong here, I've had these plants about 2-3 weeks which turned up lush green nice and healthy but now turning yellow and brown

I do a 25% wc a week which is a TDS o 150 dose with a weekly ferropol jbl
have pressurized co2 which puts a bubble in every 3rd second
have two 4' t8 40w
tank size 4' x 12" x 18"
have grow tabs under my sand substrate

here are two pictures
c0abfc09.jpg

fe60fe10.jpg

prob not enough ferts or co2 I dont know that plants needs but it could need high lighting and yours might not be cutting it (its normaly one of them 3). Personaly and i could be wrong but i think ur co2 could be to low mines higher than that and the drop checker only just turns lime. My tank is 48 x 16 x 22 so a similar size to urs I use an up atomiser

I just use the jbl diffuser (the tall ugly black one :) ) what should I turn my co2 up to do you think? when I got the plants they stated low-med light

Looks to me like the plants are just converting to their submerged leaves from their emergent ones
Do you know what plant it is?
Matt

your CO2 sounds REALLY low to me. I'm running nearly 3 times the bubble rate through a reactor (so no loss) and my drop checkers are light green. My tanks only slightly bigger than yours.

I'd use a drop checker and adjust the level that way bud.

I need to get a drop checker then :) Im
sure I've read in a few different articles about 30bubbles a min though the plants that's looking worse for ware are Sagittaria Subulata I also have Echinodorus Amazonicus and Hemianthus but they both seem fine well green not bright lush green

so should I aim for say a bubble a second

thanks for your help tom,

I'd say a bubble a second would be about right, you may even need more.

I wouldn't risk turning it up without getting a drop checker or two in there first.

ok thanks, ordered a drop checker I have the original jbl one but no solution unless I can use ph solution from a test kit in there?

also should I up my lighting time to 10hours read quite a few places once co2 was added they put them up to 10hr light days

As the guys have already said, your main issue is lack of C02, unfortunately we cant tell you how many bps your tank requires as each tank is different.
However I think it would be safe to turn up the gas to 1 bps to start with, watch your fish to see if their behaviour changes, if their gills are moving faster or if they seem stressed & off their food you will know you have gone to far with the gas!
I don't think that will happen though as even 3 bps would not be pushing the boundary's in a tank your size. just up the rate one day at a time & watch your fish.
You may also want to upgrade your fertilisation, something easy to use like this http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/19-250ml.html will get you on the right road to start with.

ok alot more than I thought to take in lol right co2 is turned up to 1bps untill I get my ph checker through the post,
a new diffuser are the eBay ones any good the flat glass ones or even the spiral glass ones with a flat top on?
lastly the last website you have given me it states 5ml per 50lr of water a day so am I right in saying it will only last me 6 weeks for my 125lrt tank

sorry for all the questions I'm trying to take as much as possible in :)

If you buy the 2000ml for £16.50 that should last you 6 months dosing 6 days a week. 0.63p a week aint bad!
You can get straight in there if you prefer & buy all the dry salts separately & go the full Estimated Index (EI) that would be cheaper but I thought you might need a bit of time to get your head around that?
Re diffusers - depends on how you are filtering & what pumps you are using. UP atomisers are very popular at the moment.
you must consider water movement inside the tank too - you need plenty to distribute the gas into every corner.

also don't up the lighting times to 10.

7-8hrs will be fine, anything more you are only encouraging algae :(

il look into EL but more than likely stick with what you first suggested,

as for filtration I have a external fluval 204 which the outlet head is blowing from one corner towards the other end which is submerged below water level (only just not like a few inchs) so would this be ok to get one of these cheap spiral glass diffusers off eBay to upgrade the jbl one

ohh that's new I've heard of co2 running through external but never been told how will that work better than a diffuser then or do I connect the jbl to that as on te jbl they have a outlet nipple, as said earlyer get a new diffuser but they don't have any outlets on them

Back