• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

whats my lighting like?

mr. luke

i have a 13gal tank with an 18w light and another 10w light.
18w is a t8 and the 10 is a little halogen bulb :)
any ideas on what leel this would be classed as and what sortof stems and carpet i could grow? currently it is willow and weeping moss, java fern and some basic gap filling stuff until i can change them :)

Its most definately in the low light region due to the small size of tank. I wouldn't think the halogen light will be as efficient as the fluorescent either.

AC

what sort of lighting should i be looking at to bump up to medium-high?
i dont want leds or t5's due to cost :)

could you recomend one?
how do led- lights fair? the aquaone aquabeam to be exact? ive never ventured much into lighting for plants :(

George Farmer has been using the TMC ones. someone else has too. Apparently they are quite good but I aint paying out that kinda money. lol

AC

£90 is the cheapest i can find, but replacing 3 t8's per month soon adds up after a long time anyway, works out a fair knock cheaper in the long run :)

Why do you need to replace 3 T8s each month? Yearly or longer on magnetic ballasts and twice yearly or longer on electronic ballasts.

AC

ballasts? sorry :D another thing i dont understand :p
my lfs just told me that i should replace my tubes every 6 months at least.

Did they say you need to buy a new tank, filter and heater each year too. lol

Just kidding. I would question the LFS on this one. yearly for T8 2 yearly for T5 basically.

AC

I've stopped replacing my tubes until they stop working completely or I notice they are dark! The plants seem to adapt fine as the light levels slowly fall. My T5s have been going for a year on my Rio and I have PCT5s that are nearly two years old. The plants grow fine, even 'tricky' ones!

t8's it is then :p
Im swapping some large 36'' tubes and controlers with a small lfs for some smaller ones this week some time so it should be all go after then :D

Back