• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Whats the demand for selling shrimp online?

NeilW

Inspired from the latest 'What's the demand for high street planted aquarium shops' thread I was thinking about setting up a small tank for breeding Red Bee shrimp next year to post online. I'm not expecting to make many pennies but didn't know whether it would be a worthwhile venture.

Is the demand there? Are lower grades appreciated? What are the possible pitfalls? Maybe another shrimp species would be more suitable/in demand?

Thanks for looking
-Neil

Hi.. I have lots of cherry shrimp on my tank, and the local pet shop takes them at 75p each. Not a lot, but the cherries breed like mad and I can take enough to exchange them for food for my fish.

I am sure that if you breed red bee shrimp, even low grade, the local shop will take them. Also put some on ebay, do a search and you will see that people do sell them.

I found out on crystal red forums that the lower grades are rarer than the high grades when its come to online but I think there are some people who would buy lower grade ones.

Depends on your LFS and how well you know them. I've heard several of our local fish shops say they don't buy from the public as they risk disease in their tanks but they will happily take the same fish for free :rolleyes:

I've had credit notes from the same shops for ivory and pink apple snails. Never tried selling them fish or shrimp though.

If you go down the online route you have to be a bit wary of eBay and postal rules. Officially you are not supposed to send shrimps, fish or snails via royal mail, but of course we wouldn't do that would we ;) :angelic:

From reading threads and watching sale threads, It seems more demand would be for the harder to keep sulawesi shrimps.

Sulawesi shrimp would be nice. Need to do a lot of research into best breeding conditions as I know they like harder water then CRS. I could use some of the ideas of the Japanese shrimp breeders though and use undergravel filters. Something to look into anyways.

Cheers everyone!
-Neil

I've thought about this as well especially after someone was selling red wine shrimp for £1200 each http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8799 :wideyed: !!- you could easily set up a load of small tanks get the shrimp breeding and sell them on ebay etc. And being on a small scale you could follow the trends in shrimp keeping easier than some huge breeder.

The things that concern me is their welfare during transit, as well as the cost and complexity of sending shrimp through the post.

Would you also need a large breeding population to prevent inbreeding? If you sold poor quality inbred shrimp I think your reputation and therefore business would soon suffer!

Sending Shrimp Is Actualy Pretty Easy. Have bought from different people in the past and the best method used was. Heat Sealed Bags. With Plenty Of Water and The Shrimp were given Filter Floss to hang on to and it worked like a charm. Absoulutely No Losses and Shrimp were not harmed at all. Simply Cut open the bag and placed the filter floss into the acclimator and waited for them to climb off.

I live in a difference country than you guys but if I see a beautiful shrimp that is unique I want it. Whether it is from a LFS, online store or a forum.

Back