• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

whats the secret with moss?

Dan-CR4

I can never seem to keep any moss alive, any moss that comes near me and my tank just says "thanks but no thanks". I am pretty sure its my SAE that is munching on it. do SAE eat moss? I could not bear to part with my SAE as he/she is my longest living fish and is a right character. so if its a choice of moss or my SAE then my SAE will win o_O

I got an 266 lite tank. injecting Co2, dosing EI. 4x 39w tubes. tried so many times with different moss and would just like it to work. is there a secret to it?;)

It might well be your SAE because there are often confusions between SAE and other similar fish belonging to the same group. Here is a link which may help you ID your SAE because wrong ones are known to either eat plants or not eat some certain algae. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=33198

In my experience most mosses do better in cool environments and would appreciate some flow to stop debris building up. However it is in my opinion that flow not really needed because you can manually remove debris through water changes and having shrimps but flow is appreciated.

Edit: This thread is also very good and it's really worth reading through it http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/growing-mosses.6848/

I am pretty sure its my SAE that is munching on it. do SAE eat moss? I could not bear to part with my saeo_O;)

What envelopes are you using?
o_O;)

I'd vouch for the SAE. You may have Crossocheilus atrilimes which prefers to eat moss and other soft leaved plants.
As for moss, mine grows well in better light when in the current of a filter or near the surface, like this one below. It's a low tech so moss can look better with some co2 I suppose but just an example.

Here is the look of my shrimp tank 2 years ago. I had the spray bar facing the moss from an angle say it received more or less all of the flow. The shrimps keep the moss nice and tidy. I do miss this scape, well it wasn't really a scape just a bunch of plants placed together with the shrimp in mind nice and simple.

8228374794_48160bed7b.jpg

Back