• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Whats the ultimate shoaling fish?

Why doesn't my LFS do any of these amazing fish. Would DEFINITELY have had shoaling fish like those!!

Cheers Sam. I'm hoping they 9 I've got coming next week look as good in my new tank with the Neolamprologus meeli and N.helianthus that will be sharing the tank. Pics to follow in a new journal, once I have planted the Vallis that will be the only plants in the tank! :lol:

I'm in the same position, 60l tank recently rescaped and I have been looking in the nano fish direction too. I Have already acquired 6 ember tetra
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Hyphessobrycon_amandae.php.
They are lovely little fish. They are lively, tend to schoal quite well. I will be adding some Galaxy Rasbora and possibly some neon green tetra.
All these are small fish and I hope I can get away with 6 of each without overcrowding the tank.

In terms of shoaling behaviour, you're probably talking fish like Ember Tetras, Rummynose Tetras and Harlequin Rasboras.

french tony said:
I'm in the same position, 60l tank recently rescaped and I have been looking in the nano fish direction too. I Have already acquired 6 ember tetra
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Hyphessobrycon_amandae.php.
They are lovely little fish. They are lively, tend to schoal quite well. I will be adding some Galaxy Rasbora and possibly some neon green tetra.
All these are small fish and I hope I can get away with 6 of each without overcrowding the tank.

Those ember tetra are nice, i have seen them in fish shops but they are never fully coloured up! :thumbup:

Not really a true ultimate shoaling fish... all tetras and rasboras shoal great!!!... for the first 2 weeks.

then, in a tank environment, each individual fish will go about their own business most of the time.
The best ive seen in tetras on a long term basis were rummies (GO RUMMIES)!! hehe and green neons (my fave)
and most rasboras shoal well too, except for the previously mentioned galaxy, which can become quite territorial.

Good luck!!

I've got about 15 gold tetras in my 120l-they shoal quite nicely but I'm not sure if they'd look too big for a 60l - think silvertip tetra size and shape. The Boras Briggitea are absolutely stunning - shoal lovely in my nano and the colours are fantastic. I think their size would suit a 60l lovely, but you'd need a fair few. Galaxy Rasbora I think would look good also, but they don't shoal at all in my nano.

I like Rasbora Borapetensis as a shoaling fish, but I also think they would look a little too large. Boraras Maculatus are cute if your lfs can get them in.

What about a slightly different take on things, maybe some Corydoras Pygmaeus or Corydoras Hastatus on the bottom and Hatchetfish or Danios on the top? It sounds weird, but it looks cooler than it sounds.

amy4342 said:
I've got about 15 gold tetras in my 120l-they shoal quite nicely but I'm not sure if they'd look too big for a 60l - think silvertip tetra size and shape. The Boras Briggitea are absolutely stunning - shoal lovely in my nano and the colours are fantastic. I think their size would suit a 60l lovely, but you'd need a fair few. Galaxy Rasbora I think would look good also, but they don't shoal at all in my nano.

I like Rasbora Borapetensis as a shoaling fish, but I also think they would look a little too large. Boraras Maculatus are cute if your lfs can get them in.

What about a slightly different take on things, maybe some Corydoras Pygmaeus or Corydoras Hastatus on the bottom and Hatchetfish or Danios on the top? It sounds weird, but it looks cooler than it sounds.

Like you thinking with Corydorad Pgmys, i have four in my shrimp tank and they are excellent little scavengers!
corydoras_pygmaeus.jpg

A nice shoal of top swimmers with say 6 of these might look cool, and all whilst keeping things to scale.

I found that Celestial Pearl Danios shoaled very well as they didn't like any movement in or around the tank!
The next best was harlequins although recently for my 14ltr nano I got some Sundadanio Axelrodi sp. blue (see avatar) and they shoal very tight. In your setup you could get loads of them and have a big shoal. :thumbup:

Emerald Eye Rasboras shoal better than almost any other fish i've seen, they are just the perfect shoalers and so understated, super cool 8)

I got some Sundadanio Axelrodi

Sorry, doing a little thread hikacking. Clark, what do the Sundadanio Axelrodi look like under normal lighting? I've seen then in Aquajardin (couldn't resist another visit, and another after that! :lol:), and they looked very nice under the subdued lighting, but I thought the colour might not be as intense if not in subdued lighting. If the one in your avatar is from your tank, then I'm obviously wrong - it looks lovely! :D.

Just to add a little closure to this thread, i ended up going with two species

Emerald eye Rasboara and boraras maculatus, both of which can be seen on my journal lots of pics and videos. They shoal excellently.

amy4342 said:
I got some Sundadanio Axelrodi

Sorry, doing a little thread hikacking. Clark, what do the Sundadanio Axelrodi look like under normal lighting? I've seen then in Aquajardin (couldn't resist another visit, and another after that! :lol:), and they looked very nice under the subdued lighting, but I thought the colour might not be as intense if not in subdued lighting. If the one in your avatar is from your tank, then I'm obviously wrong - it looks lovely! :D.

Sorry Amy, I missed this for a while.
I would describe their colour as mini-neons but at the wrong angle they look totally see through.
The one that was in my avatar wasn't from my fish, but they look slightly less brilliant in colour.
I took some photos of them in my journal but their colour didn't come out as nice as it is in real life.
Here's a photo of mine:
dslr036.jpg

Excellent choices andy. I have kept both types and found them to be true shoalers. Here are some Emerald eye (Rasbora dorsiocellata) from a couple of years ago.

LB006psss.jpg

Dave.

Dave Spencer said:
Excellent choices andy. I have kept both types and found them to be true shoalers. Here are some Emerald eye (Rasbora dorsiocellata) from a couple of years ago.

LB006psss.jpg

Dave.

Hey Dave,

Did you have any problems with the little buggers jumping out of the tank!? I found out the hard way :(
Lovely fish though!

Not so much the Rasbora, but the Boraras can get a little flighty if they are spooked by somebody suddenly approaching the tank, and I have found one or two crispy ones on the floor.

I tend to run the water level a little lower than normal as a result, but jumping hasn`t been a huge problem.

Dave.

Dave Spencer said:
Not so much the Rasbora, but the Boraras can get a little flighty if they are spooked by somebody suddenly approaching the tank, and I have found one or two crispy ones on the floor.

I tend to run the water level a little lower than normal as a result, but jumping hasn`t been a huge problem.

Dave.

Yes crispy thats it! My wife didnt appreciate it when she stood a crispy one on the kitchen floor! :crazy:

I have started running the water level lower and have a couple of temporary condensate tray covers on, till they calm down.

Andy

Back