• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What's this moss please?

basil

5692dc83-53a0-171b.jpg

Hi, had this moss growing in one of my shrimp tanks for a year or so now. I can't remember exactly where I got it but remember the person telling me it was a very rare moss. Looks a little like creeping moss, but it's growth is very dense and the fronds are long, 3-4" each.

Any ideas please? :?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi all,
I don't know what it is, but it looks fantastic.

You can tell whether it is a Taxiphyllum sp or a Vesicularia sp. by the texture, Taxiphyllum spp. are really soft and feathery, whereas Vesicularia spp. are much stiffer.

My guess would be a Taxiphyllum sp. like Peacock moss, although mine is grown low-tech and has never grown anything like as big as that.

I can't remember exactly where I got it but remember the person telling me it was a very rare moss
Was it one of "A1Matt"'s? <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18817&p=191069&hilit=giant+moss#p191069>

cheers Darrel

I believe it could be peacock myself. I had some from Nelson and it grew to that size.

Really impressive fronds, but some reason my amanos took a shine to it and tore it to shreds :(

Thanks for the thoughts guys.....will run through tonight and see if i can get a positive id from the pointers you have given me.

Photo i took doesn't really do it justice though. There was a large mass of it......i chopped it back to make some room!!

Cheers,

Mike.

Hi all,
There is a picture of the "Hong Kong Waterfall moss" that "Frothhelmet" has/had in this post:
<http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/365977-hong-kong-waterfall-moss/> and it definitely looks a possibility.
No one knows the species name, but this was collected from a waterfall in Hong Kong by Chris Lukhaup in 2010. It is a genuine submersed moss that grows very well, even in warm weather........ but it is similar looking to peacock moss, but grows less dense.
cheers Darrel

I have peacock moss and it's very different to that. The picture I took doesn't really show this too well...but it's quite unusual in its form. I will get some better pics up later. Thanks for everyone's replies :) mike

Hi,
this moss (think it is grown submers for a while?) looks like our "real" Anchormoss from Malaysia.
There are different kinds sold as Anchormoss, so watch out :)

René

Back