• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What's this worm?

Took a vid today, not very good about the same as yours before it dived down the back and I didn’t have time to chase it down. I’ll try again when I have more time.

Here is a screen shot of the clearest frame showing this one has banded markings.

8D880672-DD89-4B41-9B41-3D7964252EC4.jpeg

:)

Attachments

• D82BBECD-C2B3-445A-9B31-8656314E3CEB.png
    D82BBECD-C2B3-445A-9B31-8656314E3CEB.png
    10.7 MB · Views: 123
I have had no casualties amongst the fish so far, so this may work out after all.

Here is a screen shot of the clearest frame showing this one has banded markings.

That looks very much like an asian freshwater leech - right shape and its sides in the mid section are darker than down the middle.

Last edited:
Hi all, I have Leeches in my tanks, it isn't entirely by choice, but they are almost impossible to eradicate, and I like shrimps, snails, Lumbriculus etc. so I'm not ever going to take the nuclear option.

cheers Darrel

How common are they? I don't think I've ever seen one in my tanks, I'd empty my tank if I thought I had any type of leech whatsoever 🤮

Hi all,
How common are they?
I really don't know, we have a few threads where people <"have had them">, and they probably came in with plants, shrimp or snails. I also guess most people might assume that they were Flatworms (Planaria).

I think I originally got mine with live food, and as I don't ever break the tanks down I've had them ever since.

If you ever do any <"freshwater invertebrate surveying"> you will definitely find Leeches, there are hundreds of species and they occur in every type of fresh water, still, running, clean, polluted, very polluted etc.

cheers Darrel

Back