• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What's this?!?

olafur

Seedling
Greetings! I have just bought a second-hand Interpet Nano 19L tank with a view to my first foray into aquatic plant cultivation. (This is probably going to be the first of a load of noob questions, so thanks for your patience :wave:)

So - can anyone kindly help me to understand what is this thing that came in the tank? I am doing a descale and don't want to upset the chemistry of whatever it is. (Please see attached picture)

Attachments

• IMG_20200619_175632609.jpg
    IMG_20200619_175632609.jpg
    967.3 KB · Views: 133
Of course I have looked at this but I can't see a reference to the thingy...

Here's a snippet featuring a picture of the thingy, but no text regarding its name, function or anything. (Unless Simon is correct)

Any insight appreciated

Screenshot_2.png

Last edited:
Looks like it is an inbuilt filter. Looks like the tank is obsolete so you probably can't get new cartridges but I suspect you will want a different filter anyway

No, it's not referenced. You fill it with things like activated carbon, Indian almond leaves, purigen, zeolite etc.
I like it and I would keep it - it's a neat thingy for adding chemicals, and I bet you could adapt it to feed shrimp spinach etc.

Thanks for the prompt feedback.

I can get more filters here, but this tie rack thingy is mysterious. I guess it's like one of these then!

How might I determine what is in it? It looks like little pebble things...

:hilarious: just finished laughing. Cheered me up x

I think the original picture of the thingy in your booklet (figure 1) shows if full of activated carbon (black). You only need to worry about good plant growth, circulation and oxygenation in order to keep your water clean. We don't tend to use activated carbon much because it interferes with trace elements that we add as fertiliser for the plants. It's what I've been after on several occasions for a variety of different tanks. For example, if you needed hard water, you could put your crushed cuttlefish inside there.

I think it contains biomedia.
The white pad seems to contain carbon as well as floss, as in the service pack here;
service pack on Amazon

Can you open the tie-rack? It looks like it has clips to let you. If so, post a pic of what's inside. :)

The tie rack is open! It seems it is biomedia. 🎉💥🌟

I have no idea how long this has been out of water. Getting some of this?

1592645504675.png

Last edited:
Back