• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What's your favorite canister filter and why?

I agree, the ribbed hoses are more likely to be a problem than the usual smooth ones. Mine has only been running for a few months, so I'll have to keep an eye on it. Thanks for the heads-up

I thought those hose clips would be an esthetic problem for me too, but I lucked out because the way the tank is set up mostly hides them.

Hi all,
My other canisters have clear hoses and they don't get dirty or clogged. 2 have been running nonstop for ten years. Do people usually clean their filter hoses?
I <"clean mine every couple of months in the summer"> and probably once between late autumn to spring.

<"Usually lower flow">, via dirty hoses, is my reason for cleaning the filter. I don't tend to open the filter body otherwise. I have a sponge pre-filter on the intakes of all my filters and I clean this up every ~week. I don't have any mechanical filtration media in the filter.

cheers Darrel

Pricewise the APS 2000 EX its a sun-sun so the amount they sell beware of imperfections getting through("you will need a bit of emery paper "Nathan Hill review) but real workhorse. Liking the Fluval 06 07 series. Shame about the ribbed hosing as mentioned

Eheim 2080, had 2 for 15yrs, apart from changing the hoses (gone hard, worried they would leak), the shaft and impeller in one, and the removable tap assembly in the other, no problems, i would (am going to), purchase another, without issue
They were at the time of purchase, the cheapest to run of any filter close to their size/flow, i have had Eheim’s since i was 10 yrs old (a long time ago 😂😂), in between have dabbled with Sera (leaks, leaks, and more leaks), fluval (years ago, poor flow, fragile build), ended up replacing with 2117, which is still in use

What size eheim classic would you all recommend for a 40 gallon (~140 liter) aquarium? Dimensions are about 30"x18"x18" (about 75x45x45cm).

Fluval FX4 is my favorite canister filter, because my aquarium site big and this Fluval is for big aquariums, it featues 700 gph flow rate and 5 filtration stages

I started with eheim many moons ago and couldnt fault them at all, then they produced the professional range and everything went down hill, the quality was shocking for such highly priced filters, the baskets are flimsy and it just didnt feel like Eheim quality yet still retained a very high price tag. If Eheim had the same quality as their earlier filters then i would still be using Eheim.
Changed to Fluval fx6, great filter except the design meant there was not a lot of room as you would think for media and cleaning it was a chore, especially undoing the screw clamps, I still dont know why Fluval still insist on ribbed tubing.
I then changed to an Aquael 2000 Max, What a filter, silent, powerful, well made, lots of media room and an easy pre-filter, never missed a beat in the 30 months i had it.
My current filters are 2 Oase Biomaster 850 thermo's, great filters with added bonus of heaters inside the filters. When i first got them i had to get the heads replaced on both of them as they were quite loud, this was done easily and quickly so great service from Oase, The best thing is the ease of the pre filter, wouldn't change them now for anything.

Last edited:
Hi all,

It is a shame how they have gone downhill, they were something you could rely on.

cheers Darrel
Yeah i used to love my Eheims but to be honest i felt cheated when they charged a high end price for a low/mid range filter. The Biomaster 850's ive got now are not cheap but you can tell the quality as soon as you open the box so i dont mind paying the high price.

I'm still running the 2 eheim 2217's I've had for over 20 years.
Replaced the impeller and shaft on one and the tubing on both ( as it does get hard after a while)!
Never had a problem with either and not thinking about replacing them.
When I set a tank up at work I used a Sunsun and was really impressed with it, if I do need to replace the eheims I will go with Sunsun.

The 1200xl is still ok (i think), i don’t think much has changed from the old 2080
I have 2 2117’s, both still fine, i think that series is now called classic
If I was looking for a new filter, it would be a 1200xl, or a classic

None. I have come to realize that no matter the brand I have used (Oase, Aquael, Eheim, SunSun) they all have flaws. Some more serious than others but even the expensive ones have major flaws too. Starting with Oase and their biofilter/pre-filter clogging pretty fast or leaking or flow decreasing severly. Also them charging absurd prices for some piece of equipment that is pretty basic in an aquarium setup is just something I don't accept no matter the technical and marketing explanations. These companies are competing with liquid fert companies on how to make more profit out of thin air. If I had to pick a winner among all these brands it would be Eheim and their 2215/2217 series.

Always been oase for me, purely as it’s what I know.
I bought the thermo 250 and then just bought the 600 filter head genuine part for £45, now I essentially have a thermo 600 for far less than retail price.

The filter head I bought was damaged (cracked handle) they’re usually £73

None. I have come to realize that no matter the brand I have used (Oase, Aquael, Eheim, SunSun) they all have flaws. Some more serious than others but even the expensive ones have major flaws too. Starting with Oase and their biofilter/pre-filter clogging pretty fast or leaking or flow decreasing severly. Also them charging absurd prices for some piece of equipment that is pretty basic in an aquarium setup is just something I don't accept no matter the technical and marketing explanations. These companies are competing with liquid fert companies on how to make more profit out of thin air. If I had to pick a winner among all these brands it would be Eheim and their 2215/2217 series.
Agreed. When picking filters these days it can be from any manufacturer as long as it is silent, not quiet, silent. And doesn’t use a tonne of watts.
That’s basically all I care about assuming that the quality and customer service is good.
What I’m trying to say is eheim should just pick the classic or experience and modernise them so they can use less watts and be quieter and if not less watts then do more with them.

Back