• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What's your favorite canister filter and why?

I've been running Fluval filters for twenty+ years.

My Fluval 307 on my 135l aquarium is near silent and requires little maintenance (though I have a prefilter sponge fitted to the intake which is swapped bi-monthly). Backup filter is a Fluval U4.
My Fluval U2 on my 55l aquariums is exceptionally well designed and effectively silent. I've just brought a Fluval 207 cannister filter for my new 60l tank which will be replacing the 55l in due course.

I understand I'll need to upgrade the supplied tubing to fit glass pipework and in-line heaters for the fluval cannisters, but that's the only negative. They are dependable, solid and well designed.

I agree with zozo's assesment of Sunsun HW-602. I use 2 as pre-filters with my Sunsun HW302 filters which I dislike opening because of leaks following rinsing of the media. With the prefilters I clean them weekly and now go 6 months without cleaning/servicing the main filters.

I like the Jebao Canisters, Have owned a few of them - After finding them on ebay for under £30 originally a few years ago.
Very easy to set up and hassle free.
By Chance the same store is still selling them from when they were under £30.00 and now over £50.00 for the 1200LPH.
Jebao External

1614432861978.png

Ive used the Fluval 07 series, and found them ok although i don't like the ribbed hoses you get with them as they seem to need more attention than the smooth type cleaning wise.

Im looking to mod them either with clear hosing or maybe just use the green ones from Eheim.

176135357474856336816191271156146823037.jpg

Eheim hose is a bit thicker than most so doesn’t kink as easily. I’m not keen on the colour but can’t fault the quality.
Yeah.

I think the reason why the Fluvals are ribbed is to allow them to bend easier?, but they can be prone to trapping a lot of muck, and maybe over time reducing the flow. I suspect even if they are clean the ridges restrict flow slightly although id imagine its nothing noticeable. Ive been a bit shy of buying the hoses until i look into it more. I know the size i need its just ive heard some of the clear hoses you buy online kink easily through the walls not being thick enough. Ill most probably go with the Eheims as im not bothered if they are clear just not ribbed.

Does anyone know why no one manufactures smooth filter hose in a more flexible rubber/plastic? This is one of the things I find most annoying with any filter. The hard plastic hose makes it awkward to move your filter even slightly when it’s plumbed in without messing up your in tank inlet and outlet, therefore having to make the pipes almost mm perfect to measure. I know you can heat them to do the initial fitting, but when they cool and harden, they are so awkward.

My Eheim 2213 is silent but classics don't have media trays, and I sort of like trays because I can just put the tray of bio media one side in water while I clean the rest. For some reason my Eheim Ecco Pro 300 is noisier (maybe higher flow rate). I have just ordered a Fluval 307 and will use 16/22 hoses which according to the internet can be used to connect to the Fluval to Lily pipes. I looked at the Oase Biomasters but Fluval is cheaper for me and has a smaller footprint

I know this is kinda of a dead post, but after looking through all your comments I was surprised that no one mentioned Oase filters. I have no experience with them, but have been wanting one for a while because they looked to be pretty good. Anyone have any experience with one?

I know this is kinda of a dead post, but after looking through all your comments I was surprised that no one mentioned Oase filters. I have no experience with them, but have been wanting one for a while because they looked to be pretty good. Anyone have any experience with one?
Hi @Stykk

Oase filters are frequently discussed. I suggest that you search 'Oase' from the Search box (top right of page).

JPC

Hi @Stykk

Oase filters are frequently discussed. I suggest that you search 'Oase' from the Search box (top right of page).

JPC
I just meant in this specific thread, in which people were discussing their favorite canister filters, no one mentioned Oase. When you see all the hype from the pros, youtubers, etc, it makes you think that they are the pinnacle of canister filtration, but no one here brought them up. I thought that was telling, and I just wondered if someone wanted to share there experience with them and why they might not be their favorite compared to other filters.

The Oase Biomaster was released 2-3 years ago. Most of the filters on this thread are solid classical filters that have been in use for at least 10 years. The major advantage of the Oase filters is their independent pre-filter Which greatly simplifies maintenance. Afaik, no other filter has such design. They also have good flow (especially if you tweak the pre-filter pipe). The rest is subjective…

Oase Biomaster. Good built quality, easy to remove prefilter, adjustable hose connectors with shut of valves, priming button, heater option. And it comes with all media you need! (Unless you're one of those nuttheads that the sponges away and replace them with something you were told to have)

Ive used the Fluval 07 series, and found them ok although i don't like the ribbed hoses you get with them as they seem to need more attention than the smooth type cleaning wise.

Im looking to mod them either with clear hosing or maybe just use the green ones from Eheim.
I like my new Fluval 207. It's quiet, sturdy and easy to service.

I prefer the stock hoses because they are less visually noticeable. I'm curious about cleaning the hoses. I have kept canister filters for over ten years now and have never once cleaned a hose. My other canisters have clear hoses and they don't get dirty or clogged. 2 have been running nonstop for ten years. Do people usually clean their filter hoses?

I like my new Fluval 207. It's quiet, sturdy and easy to service.

I prefer the stock hoses because they are less visually noticeable. I'm curious about cleaning the hoses. I have kept canister filters for over ten years now and have never once cleaned a hose. My other canisters have clear hoses and they don't get dirty or clogged. 2 have been running nonstop for ten years. Do people usually clean their filter hoses?
On one of the tanks i had set up i would get a lot of build up coming out of the ribbed hoses especially when i restarted the filter. It makes sense to me that the ribs will catch debris over time just through the design of them. I've recently switched over to the Ehiem style green hoses with matching intake/out pipes, and i think it looks quite nice. I hate those clips you need as well to keep the fluval hoses in. I think its more of an aesthetic in the main.

Back