• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Whatsagumi?" journal - woody changes

ajadcock

Hi all,

I have been lurking in the shadows for a while checking out the forums, and its about time I make a post of my own :)

basically what I'm after is some advice from you friendly lovely bunch (such a brown nose! :D) about my tank and the plants. I would like all your thoughts on the state of it and some ideas to perk things up a bit, and use that dead space on the left. I had a pretty large anubias there but it just didn't work, I didn't like it so here were are....
2cmw7l4.jpg

Whatever you want to say, say it, I'm a big boy I can handle it! I'm not not after creating a masterpiece like many of the tanks on here, just something that works!

thanks in advance

adam

the right hand side is fine- but the left.... definitely needs something....maybe some sumatra wood covered in moss or mini microsorum etc? some rocks around the base... with tufts of grass poking out... the choice is endless.

Hi mate,
As said the right side is looking nice and green and interesting.
For your layout with the filter where it is I would suggest a nice piece of redmoor or some manzanita wood towards the left side with perhaps a longer branch reaching into the plant mass on the right. Keep the wood branch like rather than a solid lump and this way you can add interest and height, yet still allow effective circulation and water movement to and from the filter. As Darren said some microsorum petite or moss would work well on the wood and with your current planting scheme.
Good luck and keep us posted :thumbup:
Cheerio
Ady

thanks for speedy replies!

I hadn't thought of something like that, thanks ady/darren!
Don't worry about the little filter, that's part of my rinkydink co2 setup lol :oops:

The guys have already said what I would have done about the left hand side :) So tell us more about this "rinkydink" CO2 setup :)

I have a suggestion for you... assuming you have an external filter. If/when you can afford one, invest in a Hydor external heater. One thing that will ALWAYS help a scape is to get as much clutter out of the tank as possible.

And btw, WELCOME to UKAPS. :thumbup:

i firmly believe that we should use the term ' rinkydink' more often.

Hahaha yes indeed rinkydink is the way forward!
It's a cheapo plastic bell/disposable co2 can with a little filter aimed up the opening to agitate the water surface inside the bell.
I had thought about trying butcher one of those timed airfreshners to automate the process but I figured I'd save up for pressurised at some point! I'm gonna hit my locals hopefully today to see about some wood :)

I think a piece of root style wood added to the right side with the branches crossing over to the left would look good. It definitely is lacking something, some hardscape might block of the filter and heater plus it will create a focal point.

Little update incase anybody's interested!

I'm currently sinking a bit of vine root, and I'm upgrade my rinkydink co2 to a slightly less rinkydink setup! Updates to follow!

I agree with the others and would go with some wood on the left with some plant/moss covering it. I would go with something the is fairly thick up towards the surface with a branch thats high up going diagnally down toward the plants on the right, you could then change the angle of the heater to the opposite diagnal position to hide it a bit.

hi all updated picture :) comments, tips, etc allllways welcome!
I need to trim the moss on the root its gone a bit mad in places but not others?!

any mods around? can this post be turned into a journal?
usepa5av.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

any mods around? can this post be turned into a journal?

:thumbup:

Looks like a nice jungle type layout, the new wood and moss go really well.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hello and welcome on board.

You have received some excellent advice so far and if i could just add.....

You have now got the basics for a nice scape, once the plants start to grown in a a bit.

Visual Impact:
I think the next bit is consider moving and hiding your equipment so its hidden. Obvious one is the heater, stand vertically in one of the corners behind the plants.
Think about the background and cables, how can they be hidden and run out of site. These are simple things to do but have massive impact on the perception of the scape.

Background is a personal choice, i am big fan of black. But you need to find what suits you.

Plant Trimming, consider pruning the odd random off shoots on the plants to create some nice shapes. Plants like pruning and you will find denser more lush growth will follow. When trimming, remember to hoover up/net as much of the plant waste as possible.

keep up the good work!

Andyh

thanks andy!

i'd like to get an inline heater to solve that particular ugly issue :)
as for the pruning - I have java fern, an unknown crypt, some vallis, a small anubias variety, and java moss - how do I go about pruning effectively? I haven't the foggiest im afraid :(

Adam

thanks andy!

i'd like to get an inline heater to solve that particular ugly issue :)
as for the pruning - I have java fern, an unknown crypt, some vallis, a small anubias variety, and java moss - how do I go about pruning effectively? I haven't the foggiest im afraid :(

Adam

No worries!

Inline heaters are great, but dont forget you can hide a heater behind tall plants and nobody would ever know its there.....

Pruning - Sharp Scissors are a must!

First attack remove all the older leaves. This will promote new growth. Once you have got the hang of it you can shape things, create slopes and banks etc. Remember the most basic thing short plants at the front/Tall plants at the rear. Prune them to look like that.

Java Fern - she is a tough old goat, you need to prune the largest leaves as close to the base as you can, just focus on the older big leaves. You can also remove the small Java plantlets off the leaves.
Crypts - Same as above really, little more senstive than Java fern, leaves more easily damaged.
Moss - Hack it into shape. The more you prune it the denser it comes back.
Vallis - Not sure.......I would prune out from the bottom, as i sure if you cut it half way up it never really recovers and looks shoddy afterwards.....anybody ???
Anbias - Slow growing plant, so when pruned don't expect rapid grow back. Same sort of rule as the Crypts

Remember too remove all plant waste afterwards, I normally prune then complete a water change. Maybe also consider doing it in two sittings over a couple of weeks, so you don't reduce all you plant mass in one go.

Hope that helps
Andyh

oh and I was thinking of a black background?
thats just what i was going to suggest . i really cant offer any plant advice as im just learning the art myself , but the 1st thing i thought when i saw your tank was that a black background would bring out the plants better

next step... bit of a prune and a black background!

its highlighted some... issues? with my scape. biiiiiiig open spaces not a lot of height I think?
a5u3e2u2.jpg

hi all,

I have added some hygrophilia corymbosa siamensis, some rotala of unknown variety, and the riccia i have been growing from a tiny sample :)
I have also jiggled things around a bit!
hoping that when all grows in it will cover some of the toot.
thanks for listening!

pa5a2y6e.jpg

Back