• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

When can I add amano shrimp and how many?

Hi @alto

Many thanks for that. Funnily enough, I was in touch with Michael a couple of days ago about copper test strips.

JPC

that's very interesting, some of my amano seem like they COULD be moulting then.

Shrimp start curling their tails right under themselves so that their whole body forms a tight “U” shape. By doing so they stretch and loosen their old shell.

I've seen this a few times TODAY!

Unfortunately they can also do this when stressed but hopefully it’s the beginning of a well executed moult

If you do see any moults, I’d do max 25% water changes - if you want to change more water, I’d do a second water change 8-12h later

25% it is then. I really hope my drastic water changes today haven't done any harm to them. The first one was definitely very beneficial as this stopped them wanting to go to the top of the tank. The second one, I'm not sure. We'll see tomorrow. Time to sleep now.

So it's the morning. Came down to find two shrimp had died, went pink like a cooked shrimp.

Removed them, removed a bunch of hair algae that had generated what seems like just overnight, although there's still quite a bunch of it all within the background stems which I find hard to get rid off... I'd trim the plants but to help with oxygen I have reserved doing so based on a post earlier in this thread, and then did a 30% water change.

Dosed prime.

Haven't dosed TNC complete fertiliser. Not sure if I should or not.

From what I can see the snails have been very busy cleaning up as things look nice, I also siphoned out some of their poop too which was found along some rock edges. They sure poop a lot. Damn.

On the bright side, I feel the shrimp seem more active today.

What should I do about fertiliser at the moment? Giving my water parameters and ongoing livestock situation.

I'm still waiting for the order of carbon, I also ordered more stability, and prima decided to get some Indian almond leaves too, not sure if I'll use them or whatever, but just incase. Should arrive tomorrow.

Decided to film a video for a friend to see. Sharing it here so you guys can see how things are as of today.

Any observations? Cheers!

I was dumbing down some of the info in the video for my friend who doesn't really know that much about the aquarium, so forgive that lol.

I did a good old maintenance today. Trimmed the plants down to about midline in the background.

Removed some hair algae, removed a blue looking algae from rock and wood, came out really easily in a solid clump, wasn't gooey. Can be seen in video above post.

Found a moult, removed it.

Changed water approx 30-40%

Going to ease off changing water daily now. Shrimp and snail all seem active.

Progress!

My marsilea crenata isn't doing so hot... Not entirely sure why. Got a new light coming soon twinstar 900sa, maybe that'll help. But could be too late as when crenata started melting it spreads over to nearby leaves. Seeing as this is the second time it's dying, I might change to a different plant. Like mini hair grass... Not sure.

@alto my seachem matrix carbon and other items arrived last night, so this morning I figured it was type for a full filter check up/maintenance.

I removed the filter, cleaned the pre filter with aquarium water, wasn't too bad actually, then I removed each platform and rinsed the media again in aquarium water.

My layers are now as follows since I added the carbon...

Purigen (light brown at the moment)
JBL Symec Filterwool (replaced old floss)
Seachem Matrix Carbon
Seachem Matrix
Seachem Matrix
Seachem Matrix
BOTTOM

I then reattached filter and topped off the water which I extracted for clean up. Re-dosed Prime, Stability, Pristine, added fertiliser 5ml TNC complete and that's it!

I'm not entirely sure I needed to add carbon as the shrimp and snails all seemed OK. But either way I've done it now.

Any further steps? Recommendations? How long should I keep that carbon in?

I did a good old maintenance today. Trimmed the plants down to about midline in the background.

Removed some hair algae, removed a blue looking algae from rock and wood, came out really easily in a solid clump, wasn't gooey. Can be seen in video above post.

Found a moult, removed it.

Changed water approx 30-40%

Going to ease off changing water daily now. Shrimp and snail all seem active.

Progress!

My marsilea crenata isn't doing so hot... Not entirely sure why. Got a new light coming soon twinstar 900sa, maybe that'll help. But could be too late as when crenata started melting it spreads over to nearby leaves. Seeing as this is the second time it's dying, I might change to a different plant. Like mini hair grass... Not sure.
I remember read somewhere not to remove the mounts and the shrimp eat them as a source of calcium. I tend to leave mine in there and they "disappear" very quickly.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I remember read somewhere not to remove the mounts and the shrimp eat them as a source of calcium. I tend to leave mine in there and they "disappear" very quickly.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
True. Eh, it was just one in the middle of the sand and no shrimp were coming near it.

Ever since I did this filter maintenance and adding of carbon, which I doubt is the problem, the shrimp are all hidden and not really doing their normal thing.

Probably for about 2 - 3 hours now.

Can barely ever see one.

Not sure what's up but I guess it's better than them all floating around the top of the tank in a panic like that first time this happened.

These constant up downs are starting to get the better of me... *sigh*

Hi all,
I removed the filter, cleaned the pre filter with aquarium water, wasn't too bad actually, then I removed each platform and rinsed the media again in aquarium water.
These constant up downs are starting to get the better of me
I know exactly what you mean, but you really need to let things settle down and get some stability.

From earlier in the thread
........I'd probably keep changing a bit more water and make sure you have <"plenty of oxygen">, possibly via a bit more <"surface agitation">. The last thing is don't remove any of the growing vegetation at the moment, <"more plant mass"> will definitely help reduce NH3, NO2- and NO3- levels..........
Just have a couple of weeks with minimum maintenance (pre-filter clean once a week?) and water change, nothing else.

Then you can assess where you are.

cheers Darrel

@alto

and topped off the water which I extracted for clean up. Re-dosed Prime, Stability, Pristine, added fertiliser 5ml TNC complete and that's it!

Are you sure you need all those additives? One water conditioner such as prime should be sufficient if your tank has properly cycled.

Are you sure you need all those additives? One water conditioner such as prime should be sufficient if your tank has properly cycled.
I decided to add stability today just because I did big filter maintenance. Just for upkeep really.

Pristine I've been adding per water change, helps with waste management.

TNC Complete is the fertiliser.

The Shrimp are still mostly hiding today or sitting around not doing a heck of a lot, this is approx 8 hours now. I tested the water with API Test kit and its 0 on ammonia, 0 on nitrite, didn't test nitrate as this number seems quite skewed due to adding fertiliser and such. Plus, I just did a water change today, so felt a bit irrelevant.

Back