When do I need a new FE?

Discussion in 'Carbon Dioxide (CO2)' started by PM, 28 Oct 2008.

1. PM

PM Member

Hi, how long should my 2kg fire extinguisher last for?

I am running about 1.5 bubbles per second (counted on ADA bubble counter) for 11 hours per day.

I think it's been running for about 8 months (ish)?

Any ideas??? :D

Ta

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Keep an eye on your pressure gauge. If you see it start to drop swap it out. Try and avoid a CO2 dump, though with a needle valve that shouldn't be a problem. 8 months is a good run!

3. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Not really, every set up is different. Just keep an eye on the reg. Once the cylinder pressure (which starts at around 50bar) starts to drop you need to be thinking about getting a replacement. I tend to run my cylinders until they say 5ish bar as there is loads left in them and I generally get 3-4 more weeks worth of CO2, probably more in your case. Once the cylinder starts dropping, you will need to keep an eye on the reg pressure which starts rising when this happens, and consequently increases the bubble rate, so you might need to adjust the needle value to compensate.

Hope that helps.

Sam

4. PM

PM Member

Okay thanks guys, I remember I broke one of the gauges when I knocked it over, but I can't remember which!

I'll check later :)

5. ulster exile

ulster exile Member

Definitely take the advice on not waiting until your FE is empty to think about refilling. I returned from holiday to find a green tank and lots of dead fish, plus an empty FE. I suppose the FE dumped it's remaining gas whilst I was away, but the algae was amazing. The surface was covered with a green slime, so thick that bubbles had formed under it, but not burst. I feel lucky, I'd any fish left, but I've lost most of the plants due to either them being covered in algae or suffering from low light as the slime blocked out loads of it.

I knew it was due to run out as I know how long a FE lasts on my tank approximately; I should have pulled my finger out and re-filled it before I went away :oops:

Lesson learnt!

6. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

I think it dumps when the cylinder has properly run out and whats left in the reg gets 'dumped' into the tank. So long as you change it before it runs out you should be OK, I run mine pretty low.

Sam

7. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

I am currently using an Aquili reg, it has a built in valve and no gauges. Have got through about 4 bottles now, and I have never had a reg dump. I guess this is a quirk of my reg. So I simply replace the FE when the gas stops coming out.

I do notice that as the bottle empties the bubble count lowers which is no big deal, I just keep an eye on it and tweak it up a little every couple of weeks to maintain the count.

8. Behold

Behold Member

Why would it dump? surely it would need to exceed 50 bar to do so$

9. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

I dont think anyone has really worked that one out yet (now watch everyone prove me wrong!)

Sam

10. JamesM

JamesM Member

Screw you :lol:

I can't get 2kg to last more than 7 or 8 weeks on my 18 gal :rolleyes:

Lucky bugger :)

11. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

My 2Kg bottle lasted just over 4 months in my 30G tank, lets wait and see how long and FE lasts, should be the same though, I already have two spare just in case LOL

12. PM

PM Member

What are you running it at, a million BPS? :lol:

13. JamesM

JamesM Member

:lol:

I was running around 3bps with a glass diffuser... now I'm using an inline Boyu diffuser and without touching the needle valve its around 4bps. That's whats needed to get the drop checkers green :? My wife is not impressed :lol:

14. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

have you checked for leaks?

i have had mine for 3 month and it should easily last another 3! (15gal)