• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

When do you switch on you CO2?

Aeropars

Hi Guys,

I'm curious as to what other people do with their CO2 overnight and the morning.

I currently switch CO2 off overnight using a timer and then it comes back on when the lights do. This gives a certain amount of time (not sure how long as i haven't timed it) to reach optimal CO2 levels.

Do other people have other strategies for their CO2 shutoff?

Lee

I don't turn mine off, 24/7. I found that using a solanoid was contributing to BBA (inconsistent Co2) since changing i have had no probs. I also have minimal surface aggitation too, each system is different i suppose.

Mine is on 2 hours before lights, then off at same time as lights. Lighting period is 8 hours straight, no gap. The time before lights on is critical, I kinda guessed at 2 hours being enough to get the tank to 30ppm before lights and seems to be about right for me.

Mine comes on half an hour before lights out and goes out half an hour before. It could probably go off earlier actually, but better to make sure there's always enough CO2 in the water when the lights are on IMHO and err on too long rather than too little. I accidentally left the CO2 on all last night (messing about with timers :rolleyes: ) and the drop checker was a rather yellowish green this morning but all the fish were fine.

CO2 comes on three hours before lights on and goes off 15 minutes before lights off. The larger the tank the longer the gap before CO2 on and lights on I have found is needed. I monitored the pH with my Hanna pH meter whilst working out when to turn CO2 on. Just kept adjusting the time period until the pH at lights on was the same as the pH during the rest of the day. Drop checkers are too slow to react to the change, hence why I used a pH meter.

James

Back