• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

when do you turn-on/off the CO2 supply?

jarthel

A few weeks ago, I recall seeing a discussion where it was recommended to turn-on the CO2 before the lights turn on. And then turn-off the CO2 before the lights turn-off. But I cannot find the thread again (I believe it was a different forum). I searched this forum as well but cannot find a relevant thread.

Can someone please advise what is the recommended turn-on/off time for the CO2? (e.g. turn-on/off CO2 3 hours before lights)

Thank you for the help :)

There are lots of threads covering this in detail

The general rule of thumb being get your CO2 on well b4 your lights and get your CO2 level to Green, so that when your lights come on there is plenty to be used.

mine comes on 3 hrs before the lights and stays on for 5-6hrs

I think if you read this it may help
http://www.ukaps.org/drop-checker.htm
Its written by Clive and is very useful, it really helped me :thumbup:

dont worry, when i use the search tool on here i can never find anything! I think there is some sort of secret skill you have to unlock. o_O

My CO2 usually comes on an hour before the lights. I like to have the drop checker bordering on yellow before the lights come on. This is backed up with surface disturbance to keep the O2 levels up as well. The CO2 goes off some two hours before lights out, giving the plants the chance to reduce the amount of CO2 in the water column.

What I now do is, once the CO2 levels are established, is get rid of the drop checker, which can be an eyesore. I have a lot of confidence in my regulator not straying from adjustment to do this. Having said that, the fish would let me know if there was too much CO2 long before the drop checker reacts to the change.

Dave.

As an alternative, you could just leave the CO2 on 24/7 thats what I do in both my tanks. Personally a solenoid is just another thing to go wrong and expensive. I guess on very large tanks it helps with saving CO2. There is an argument for giving the fish a rest from the co2 too though.

Guess it's personal choice :)

Sam

at the moment i have co2 on 3 hours before lights, and going off at the same time as light do.

Jarthel

2.5 hours prior to lights coming on and 1 hour prior to the lights go off - very minimal water disturbance Co2 levels remain very steady - very little change in DC colouration.

Paul

thanks everyone :)

just a question again if you guys don't mind :)

would you give the same advice (lights and co2 timing) if it's a newly planted tank?

jarthel said:
just a question again if you guys don't mind :)

would you give the same advice (lights and co2 timing) if it's a newly planted tank?

Jarthel

I would start off with 5 - 6 hrs for your lights and gradually increase the lighting periodicity (time span), don't forget when increasing lighting periodicity (time span) you will have to increase co2 time span.

E.G
Co2 on @ 14:00
Lights on @ 16:00
Co2 off @ 20:00
Lights of @ 21:00

Regards
paul.

Back