• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

When the solenoid switches on...

igirisujin

Between Japan (Kyushu) and the UK (East Anglia)
Hello,

When my solenoid valve turns on in the mornings, I've noticed it blasts a whole load of CO2 through my airstone at once. Maybe a few of hundred bubbles in 10 seconds. I set it to run at 1 bubble every two seconds every day, but after the solenoid comes on, it always settles at about 1bps.

I'm using the Do!Aqua (ADA) pressurised system with (in order) the Do!Aqua reg, ADA manual shut-off valve, solenoid, check valve and airstone.

Is it an issue with airstones? I never saw this before with glass diffusers. It must be wasting quite a lot of CO2 each time.

I’ve only used airstones with air pumps (maybe check the US planted tank forums for airstone use)

Maybe post a photo of your airstone - also what is it’s composition?

[deleted]
ojaUPp8.mp4

Try increasing the CO2 bps - I’m wondering if you’ll see the microbubbles being released evenly from all over the airtone ... it seems only a small area of the airstone is releasing bubbles?

Try increasing the CO2 bps - I’m wondering if you’ll see the microbubbles being released evenly from all over the airtone ... it seems only a small area of the airstone is releasing bubbles?

It's only a tiny aquarium, so I don't want to inject too much - but yes, I suppose due to the slow injection rate, the whole airstone isn't being used.

I had a reply from Green Aqua about the mass of bubbles at the start. Their advice was that the Do!Aqua system I'm using isn't compatible with solenoid valves, and can't handle the pressure buildup when it switches off. They advised to run the system 24/7, which I will do from today.

^ I’ve never tried to add a solenoid to my Tropica Nano CO2 systems, assuming they likely aren’t manufactured with that sort of use in mind (though I have read instances of some incorporating a solenoid), instead I either run 24/7 or manually switch system ON/OFF
(I use Tropica’s diffuser which is included, they’re unbreakable and cleanable and have the built in bubble counter - though you obviously already purchased that)

I suspect longterm, that you’ll experience more steady CO2 release using a small CO2 diffuser than any airstone

Back