• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

When to add dechlorinator

I dont have acccess to rainwater collection so this wouldn’t be a option for me so I was planning on using water from tap and using a conditioner in a bucket before adding to tank would this be sufficient enough? If i do part warm To part cold when adding water to bucket would this be good enough again rather than just straight up only colid? OR is my best bet to have a second heater and warm it up to desired temp Before adding to tank (in my mind this option makes most sense)
Yes, you should condition the water with the dechlorinator before adding it to the tank. As far as the temperature goes you should match the water temperature to within a couple of degrees (which is usually within a fair margin of the room temperature). If your changing say 50% water in your 50L tank - or 25L - just fill one or two buckets will the appropriate amount add the appropriate amount of dechlorinator and let it sit for a day or so to reach room temperature - you can accelerate the process by adding a heater and some circulation. When you're adding the WC water the resulting temperature will be (WC water temperature + tank water temperature) / 2, if that is within a degree or so you should be fine.

Cheers,
Michael

Adding your conditioner to the bucket is fine. However, you’ll need to dose each bucket based on its volume before adding to the tank. Alternatively, you can refill your tank and then dose for the whole tank volume.

Mixing hot and cold tap is also fine.

Yes, you should condition the water with the dechlorinator before adding it to the tank. As far as the temperature goes you should match the water temperature to within a couple of degrees (which is usually within a fair margin of the room temperature). If your changing say 50% water in your 50L tank - or 25L - just fill one or two buckets will the appropriate amount add the appropriate amount of dechlorinator and let it sit for a day or so to reach room temperature - you can accelerate the process by adding a heater and some circulation. When you're adding the WC water the resulting temperature will be (WC water temperature + tank water temperature) / 2, if that is within a degree or so you should be fine.

Cheers,
Michael
Oh amazing that sounds simple, so day before water change prepare the amount of water needed in buckets and allow to come to room temperature for 24 hrs before adding to tank. Sounds easier than having to add a heater to it.

Oh amazing that sounds simple, so day before water change prepare the amount of water needed in buckets and allow to come to room temperature for 24 hrs before adding to tank. Sounds easier than having to add a heater to it.
Yes, it really is - Only in the dark depth of the winter months here in Minnesota I sometimes throw in a heater, but in the spring/summer/fall months I don't add a heater either as 24 is more than enough to reach an appropriate temperature.

Mixing hot and cold tap is also fine.
It depends... I can't speak for the UK and it also depends on the source of the hot water, but here in the US, hot water is generally not considered safe or suitable for human consumption because it usually contains more contaminants and bacteria from water heathers, pipes etc. Alternatively, you can boil some cold tap water and mix that to the WC water.

Cheers,
Michael

Yes, it really is - Only in the dark depth of the winter months here in Minnesota I sometimes throw in a heater, but in the spring/summer/fall months I don't add a heater either as 24 is more than enough to reach an appropriate temperature.

It depends... I can't speak for the UK and it also depends on the source of the hot water, but here in the US, hot water is generally not considered safe or suitable for human consumption because it usually contains more contaminants and bacteria from water heathers, pipes etc. Alternatively, you can boil some cold tap water and add that to the WC water.

Cheers,
Michael
Thank you yeah i think I’ll leave to get to warm temp. But also think I’ll test all the water levels on the water we have coming out the hot and cold taps here just so i know what’s what before getting started! I never thought about the water levels being different dependent on hot and cold water.

Another way to warm your water is to add some boiling water from the kettle....
I've got small tanks & change one bucket of water per week in each tank. I mix rain & tap water bringing the temp up with a little boiling water. Then I add dechlorinator to the bucket before adding the water to the tank.
Once you start doing the routine maintenance it will become less confusing & you will work out the way that is best for your tank, just don't forget the dechlorinator!

Yes, the boiling water @The Miniaturist and myself above talks about really accelerates things... If you tap is say ~16 C (fairly typical) and your batch is 25L you really only need to add two liters of ~100 C water to reach ~23 C.

Cheers,
Michael

Back