• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

When to add shrimp to a new tank

Mullen88

Hi everyone. Was looking for advice on when to introduce shrimp to my new aquarium?

I have a 55 litre tank that has 8 green neon tetra and one neon tetra due to a mix up at the fish shop (seems to be doing ok though) the fish have been in about 3 or 4 weeks now and the tank had been cycling for 8 weeks prior. I went to the fish shop to buy some shrimp and start the cleanup crew but they advised against it. And said shrimp are sensitive and I need to have the tank running longer.

Was wondering at what point I should add shrimp as I have some diatoms on my plants and no clean up crew yet.

Was planning on otto's but have read the tank needs to be at least 6 months old before you add them.

Weekly water tests are not showing any ammonia and doing 2 20% water changes a week.

Any advice is appreciated cheers.

Attachments

• 16196944332098411883206140506117.jpg
    16196944332098411883206140506117.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 483
Amano and Red Cherry, in my experience, are fairly hardy. It seems common that Shrimp are added before fish, when cycling a tank, so confused as to the rationale they gave for not adding them. What Shrimp did you choose, something more sensitive i.e Crystal?

Which shop gave you that advice? I would have thought a period of 12+ weeks would be fine to start adding shrimp - though you may want to consider adding some moss, as shrimp love to graze on it.

We originally went to get shrimp before any fish. Went to maidenhead aquatics in Derby. They said we'd be better off putting fish in 1st so we bought 6 green neon tetra. About 10 days later. (water levels all fine) I was at wharf aquatics in pinkston, thought I would get some shrimp, but was advised it was wiser to add more fish. So bought another 4 green neons (2 of which turned out to be normal neons when we got home) as the guy said shrimp would die easier in a newly established tank so better to wait a while.

Now the plants and hardscape are looking a bit grubby and could do with some cleaners.

A friend has just had some shrimp spawn in his tank so was thinking of having some of them. Think they are neon yellow shrimp.

Now I dont mean to be rude, but a person who cant tell green neons from normal neons gave you this advice?
The normal neons were really small and somehow ended up in the green neon tank I think. They apologised and said they would give me 2 more greens next time I went in. Heres a pic of one

Attachments

• IMG_20210420_162722__01.jpg
    IMG_20210420_162722__01.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 187
A friend has just had some shrimp spawn in his tank so was thinking of having some of them. Think they are neon yellow shrimp.

Yes, just go for it. Remember to drip acclimate the shrimp just as you would fish, before adding them to the tank.

Back