• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

When will I see my Amano Shrimp again?

Robert F Porter

Seedling
A weird one, but fun and interesting. I have a heavily planted tank with plenty of places to hide. On Monday morning I bought a couple of Amano shrimp, and all Monday afternoon they seemed to set to harvesting the algae in full sight. There was no sign of them at all on Tuesday or today (Wednesday) although I did catch a brief glimpse of one this morning. Does anyone have any thoughts about when they are likely to come out from hiding (if ever) and I can enjoy them? Thanks.

Their move to your tank may also have triggered molting and they are hiding away while soft and vulnerable.
Do you have any fish that might be trying to eat them? A scared janitor doesnt do a very good job cleaning.
Otherwise I second checking for escapees, they seem especially prone to climbing out of CO2-injected tanks, I think they want to find a less fizzy place to live ;)

Thanks for all your replies. I have a tight lid and only danios and corys. I caught another glimpse of one last night but still very elusive. I’m sure they will become more boisterous in time. Thanks again.

They are known escape artists - I had one escape from my low tech, and walk across three rooms and two doorways, presumably in search of the 'Promised Land'.

I have around 14 in a 100 litre high tech tank - I see, at most, one every couple of weeks. I have found no crispy escapees near my 100 litre, so I have no idea if they are still in there or not.

My advise, if you want some nice shrimp for viewing purposes, get Cherries - much bolder, and nicer to look given you can pick your colour preference.

it could be a numbers thing. Mine get bolder when they are in force. But as @Hufsa said, they have likely triggered a molt from the new water parameters - expect to see a ghostly exoskeleton wobbling around within a day or two. I’ve added 2 sets to my new tank so far and both went through the same situation - eating like mad then hiding for a few days. Once they have new armour they’ll likely show up (bigger and better) ready to perform their duty! 👍

check the tank once the lights go out too, they love a night shift!

Back